cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Documents submitted via Unity API not hitting workflow?

Josh_Belmonte
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Is this an option in the code or elsewhere that documents submitted to OnBase hit or bypass workflow? All of our DIP files hit workflow but none of the documents submitted via Unity are going in to WF.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Scott_McLean
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

I have tested this and in my v15 system, documents imported using the Unity API are added to workflow, provided the document type is assigned to the life cycle.

If you recently added the document type to the workflow life cycle, make sure you've reset IIS on the app server and restarted any core-based workflow timer services that might be executing your Unity code.

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Patrick_Sweeney
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The configuration may not be the same across all versions.  But for OnBase 15 I believe that import via the Unity client defaults to adding documents to the appropriate workflow queues, provided those workflow queues have been set up with the correct document type.  Off the top of my head I'm not aware of an option that would disable this.

The Document Import Processory actually requires an option to be enabled for documents brought in by DIP to be added to Workflow.  You can find that in the Config under the Document Import Processor -> Settings -> Options -> Add Documents to Workflow.

Anyways, regarding your situation there are a few possibilities that come to mind you might want to check.

The first is that there is some setting that's blocking the documents from being imported to Workflow when importing via the Unity Client.  Hopefully if that's the case someone else will chime in with that information.

Second is that the DIP process might actually be importing the document to a different document type.  It's not impossible to set up Workflow to do some preliminary System Work on imported documents and then reroute them to other LifeCycles/Queues.  So it wouldn't hurt to double check that the DIP is indexing to the Document Type that you're expecting.

Third is to check the LifeCycle that you expect the document to go to for any System Work.  It's possible that System Work is kicking the document out of the queue based on criteria that is satisfied by import via DIP.  For example, there could be System Work in the initial queue that kicks the document out of the LifeCycle if there are no keywords populated on the document.  A quick sanity check here is to import a document via Unity and verify that it's not in Workflow.  Then try to right click on it and execute Workflow on it, sending it to the queue.  Then check and see if it made it there.  Another good step would be to check the Document History of the Document after importing via Unity.  If it ever entered Workflow it should be reflected in the History (unless the queue has logging disabled).

That's a few things to check anyway.  If you can provide the version that you're working in it might help narrow down the configuration options.  Let us know if any of those suggestions help!

Hi Patrick,

Currently, the Unity Client will always initiate Workflow upon import and/or re-index of a document (to a different Doc Type) as long as the Doc Type is configured for the life cycle. I found SCR#86485 that requests the functionality to have the option whether or not to initiate Workflow upon import/re-index in the Unity Client (the same way it behaves in the Thick Client). The SCR is in Dev Backlog at this time.

Thanks,
Rance

Scott_McLean
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

I have tested this and in my v15 system, documents imported using the Unity API are added to workflow, provided the document type is assigned to the life cycle.

If you recently added the document type to the workflow life cycle, make sure you've reset IIS on the app server and restarted any core-based workflow timer services that might be executing your Unity code.