cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices for Handling 80-Character Document Name Limit

Brett_Booz
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

How are you handling the 80-character limit to the Document Type Name imposed by the DocuSign Integration? I saw one post from 2017 about it, but the only answer was adding someone to an SCR. Is that still the only answer?

Our document type names have been with us a LONG time and many of them average over 100 characters! Changing them isn't really an option at this point. How do we send them to DocuSign and have them behave the way the integration is designed?

I have some workaround ideas, but wanted to hear from the community first.

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2

Brendan_O_Brien
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

You may want to double-check with DocuSign on this. The restriction was on their side as I recall, and I believe they may have increased it. We abandoned the on-board integration and built our own, but before we did that I seem to recall it was up closer to 100 characters at DS.

Brett_Booz
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thanks Brendan! As I've worked with it I've discovered that it doesn't really matter. Yes, DocuSign uses the first 80 characters of your auto-name string along with the document ID as their filename attribute (which you really have to dig for to even see - it's not a user-facing data point), but I have seen zero evidence that the truncation prevents OnBase from updating the envelope status or bringing back the signed document into OnBase. The MRG is misleading and should be updated (IMHO).

Would you be willing to share any information on how you "built your own"? I'm trying to piece together a solution with this integration, but so far it's terribly clunky.

Thanks!