Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document failing to send from Workflow

Kirk_Sumpter
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Version 18.0.1.49

I have a document type that when uploaded goes into a workflow, waits for an ad-hoc to be executed that then uploads the document to DocuSign.

Everything worked properly in our test environment after I figured out the doc type needed to be renditionable (that's a word, right?) in order for what was uploaded as a 3 page TIFF to get pulled back down from DocuSign as a PDF.  To be clear for context, the sending was working before adding renditions, it was the downloading the signed version that was failing.

Now we've moved to production and the first document we've tried to send is failing but I can't determine why.  I've double checked all settings and everything seems to be configured exactly the same as our test environment.    

My hunch is it has something to do with the files being TIFFs because I uploaded a PDF version and pushed it through the workflow and it sent perfectly.  In config I can connect to our DocuSign account and verify the templates are good, so it's not a connectivity issue or DS account issue.  We are using send on behalf of, which worked when I used the PDF document to send.   

Any thoughts on why a TIFF might not upload, or short of that, is there any way to get a clearer understanding of where the send is failing?

The send to docusign workflow action is in system work of a queue, and I've looked at app server diagnostics which shows nothing, as well as on-demand diagnostics on the workstation, but all it shows is the workflow action step taken and the result, not what specifically went on behind the scenes in the attempted send.

***Edited to add, since this post we've successfully sent a document that originates as a TIFF, so my hunch has proven incorrect.  The second part of my question still stands, is there a way to tell exactly why a send to docusign action is failing?  

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Kirk_Sumpter
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Following up in case anyone else finds this thread.

After working with support, I can now successfully see errors in diagnostics console when the send the DocuSign action fails.

To do so, modify your application server web.config file settings as follows:

- set your Hyland Tracing switch to at least 3: <add name="hylandTracing" value="3" />

- ensure the following mail slots are enabled (set to true) in the Hyland Diagnostics section:

<Log name="asp.net-profile" enableMailSlot="true" />
<Log name="service-profile" enableMailSlot="true" />
<Log name="web.service-profile" enableMailSlot="true" />
<Log name="ldap-profile" enableMailSlot="true" />
<Log name="workflow-profile" enableMailSlot="true" />
<Log name="trace-profile" enableMailSlot="true" />

After making these changes I was able to see specific errors from docusign (on the errors tab of Diagnostics console), such as user doesn't have an account, or that the document we sent didn't match the number of pages in the specified template.  

Keep in mind we're on 18, so those web.config settings may not be applicable in earlier or later version.

Hope that's helpful to someone!

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Ryan_Rickenbach
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Kirk, 

When you are looking at diagnostics console does the workflow action state that the result of the workflow action failed or is successful? 

I don't really know of a perfect way to see why something is failing to send. Typically I turn on logging in DocuSign and in combination with the OnBase logs you pointed out. Have you tried turning on logging inside of DocuSign?

Is there anything for that itemnum in the cicitemxpackage table of the database? 

Here is a table for that cicitemxpackage that I have come up with. Every once in a while I have seen a doc status of 6 but don't know what that status is. 

Cicdocstatus

Description

Pending waiting for signatures

Item returned from DocuSign

Item declined from DocuSign

Item is in a draft in DocuSign

Item in voided in DocuSign

Is the item failing to send in the workflow action or in the document itself? That is when the document fails to upload in workflow are you able to send to DocuSign manually or will that fail as well? 

When it worked in Test do you use a URL Override to point to demo DocuSign or is it pointing to the same environment as production? 

Not much help yet but if I am able to get a couple of those answers I should have a better idea and assist with troubleshooting.

Hi Ryan,

Appreciate your thoughts, that was good info on the cic package status, I didn't know that before, so that's great info.

I just got a reply on a ticket with support and they pointed me in the direction of, in addition to on-demand diagnostics, turning on workflow tracing and monitoring the diagnostics console of the application server.  I'm going to try that and see if it generates any information beyond just seeing the workflow action executed with a result of false (meaning it didn't send, but no clue why).

After getting more info from my users today, it turns out someone was trying to execute a send that doesn't have a docusign account so obviously that won't send (don't we all love troubeshooting without all the info?).  🙂

I'm going to test what I got from support and if you can indeed actually see information regarding the app server's API call to docusign I'll update this thread with that info.

Kirk_Sumpter
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Following up in case anyone else finds this thread.

After working with support, I can now successfully see errors in diagnostics console when the send the DocuSign action fails.

To do so, modify your application server web.config file settings as follows:

- set your Hyland Tracing switch to at least 3: <add name="hylandTracing" value="3" />

- ensure the following mail slots are enabled (set to true) in the Hyland Diagnostics section:

<Log name="asp.net-profile" enableMailSlot="true" />
<Log name="service-profile" enableMailSlot="true" />
<Log name="web.service-profile" enableMailSlot="true" />
<Log name="ldap-profile" enableMailSlot="true" />
<Log name="workflow-profile" enableMailSlot="true" />
<Log name="trace-profile" enableMailSlot="true" />

After making these changes I was able to see specific errors from docusign (on the errors tab of Diagnostics console), such as user doesn't have an account, or that the document we sent didn't match the number of pages in the specified template.  

Keep in mind we're on 18, so those web.config settings may not be applicable in earlier or later version.

Hope that's helpful to someone!