cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I allow a dashboard to be viewed by a non-onbase user via the web?

Jason_Collier
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I have dashboards that I've created and I've installed the web dashboard viewer. It all is working as expected.

However, we have the need for the dashboards to be viewed by some people who are not OnBase users. So, I edited the web.config in the wwwroot/dashboardviewer folder and added a username and password for a user that I added to OnBase with rights to view the dashboards. When I try to view the dashboard from machines that are not on our network (machines on our network are logging in using AD Auth), I get an error that it can't log in. The username that pops up is not the username that I set in the config file so I'm not sure if there is another setting in the config file that I need to set to tell it to use the supplied username and password.

2 REPLIES 2

Joe_Lane
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Hi Jason,

Since you mentioned that users on your network are logging into the Dashboard Web Viewer using AD authentication, I'm going to assume that your DashboardViewer web.config file has enableAutoLogin set to true. This means that even when external users attempt to open that dashboard through that same URL, they'll still be attempting to use AD authentication. Since they don't have a valid AD account in your network, the login fails. We do not attempt a secondary method of authentication if the first one fails.

One option you have would be to stand up a second DashboardViewer virtual directory in IIS. You can leave the original one alone since that works for internal users, and you can modify the copy for non-AD authentication.

Regards,

Joe Lane
Tech Support
Hyland

Luis_Ortiz
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I ran into this problem as well and my worked around was to allowing domain users to authenticate to the web, no additional access. Then, used local OnBase groups to manage the dashboards for those users. I also had to do this from the Unity Forms so that I can capture the AD accounts when the Unity Form are submitted.