cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow Queue Monitoring

Brad_Pitt
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hello.  We are on EP3.  I'd like to monitor a workflow queue, which has a unity timer set, so that I get a notice when a workview object doesn't exit the queue as scheduled.  Meaning that something caused the internal configuration to fail and therefore it doesn't exit as it should.  It could also indicate the timer didn't execute as scheduled.  The workflow MRG doesn't provide much guidance for this issue.  The Queue Monitoring in the Advanced Tab of the Properties Pane for the given queue doesn't have much documentation for anything other than document watermark, which I don't believe will be useful.  There is a checkbox for "Queue contains documents older than" but no real mention of this in the MRG.  I'd like a notification that an object has been in the queue longer than the timer frequency (in this case a 5 minute timer schedule).  Thanks

2 ACCEPTED ANSWERS

Larissa_Armand
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Brad,

From what I found when looking at those queue monitoring settings, that doesn't do any notification. 

You can set up another timer though, with a rule using "check date property value" (for example, there are a few ways you could go about the same basic thing). Then when the rule evaluates true, send a notification. 

View answer in original post

Steven_Thorders
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Brad,

We use a SQL query to notify us of documents stuck in Workflow. This query could be executed by an enterprise monitoring solution, or there are some tricks to make it run as a scheduled job on the SQL server itself. This runs every five minutes and emails our OCSAs if there are more than a certain number of documents in certain queues for more than a certain amount of minutes.

SELECT    COUNT(*) [RecordCount]FROM (    SELECT        statenum,        DATEDIFF(MINUTE,transdate,GETDATE()) [MinutesOld]    FROM         hsi.itemlc    WHERE         statenum IN (@lcstates) -- LC queue you want to monitor) XWHERE     X.MinutesOld >= @timeframelower -- Timeframe

Just another option for you!

View answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Larissa_Armand
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Brad,

From what I found when looking at those queue monitoring settings, that doesn't do any notification. 

You can set up another timer though, with a rule using "check date property value" (for example, there are a few ways you could go about the same basic thing). Then when the rule evaluates true, send a notification. 

Larissa,

I hadn't thought of adding another timer.  The configuration to check the queue entry date and time greater than "X" minutes is pretty straight forward along with a notification.  Once created, it would be easy to copy for other queues where this same check is needed as well. I will discuss with the team.  Thanks for the workaround idea.  

Brad

Steven_Thorders
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi Brad,

We use a SQL query to notify us of documents stuck in Workflow. This query could be executed by an enterprise monitoring solution, or there are some tricks to make it run as a scheduled job on the SQL server itself. This runs every five minutes and emails our OCSAs if there are more than a certain number of documents in certain queues for more than a certain amount of minutes.

SELECT    COUNT(*) [RecordCount]FROM (    SELECT        statenum,        DATEDIFF(MINUTE,transdate,GETDATE()) [MinutesOld]    FROM         hsi.itemlc    WHERE         statenum IN (@lcstates) -- LC queue you want to monitor) XWHERE     X.MinutesOld >= @timeframelower -- Timeframe

Just another option for you!

Yep, you can do this as a Unity script as well and schedule that through UMC.

Also, if you have set thresholds in queue monitoring in Studio, those values are available to query in the database so you can set/manage individual thresholds there and compare that in the query/script. 

Or, if the notification is not essential, you can set it up as a reporting dashboard and check there for any stale items. 

There are a bunch of ways to go about it.