cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Private Patients - Security Keywords

Mike_Koschik
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

We keep patient records broken down into different doc types that can be seen by appropriate user groups. Billing info is viewed only by the Billing usergroup, Medical records are seen by those in the Medical Records usergroup, etc. We would like to keep this structure and also implement a mechanism to restrict access to certain patients accross those usergroups.

In another application we use we assign security by numbers. Most patients are level 2 and most staff are level 2. Level 2 staff can see patient records with level 2 or lower. Doctors and therapists are assigned a higher security number 11. Some patients are assigned a higher number  6 due to having family employeed at our facility. Now the typical staff (family member) can no longer see these private patients but the doctors still can as they can see level 11 and lower.

We would like to make OnBase function in a similar way so that certain staff can only see certain patient records within their appropriate doc type groups.

Has anyone had experience with this situation and perhaps recommend a solution?

We are running a Thick Client OnBase 13.

2 REPLIES 2

Ulrik_Petersen
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

We had a similar requirement when we transitioned from another product to OnBase.  We used a security keyword to duplicate the hierarchical security from that system.  We stuck with a numerical values to make the import more straight forward. Here is a simplified example:

1 = general access

3 = employees only

5 = confidential

Then create groups with different access to the keywords.  The public group can only view documents with 1.  The group with the highest level of access can view 1, 3, and 5.  As far as I know, they need access to each value rather than a range (i.e. <= 5), so unless you need to maintain continuity with the other system you mention you could use more descriptive values.

One caveat is that this won’t restrict access by document ID.  If someone has that ability it will ignore keyword restrictions.

Ulrik_Petersen
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

It occurred to me that I did not address part of your question.  We have a custom application that either generates a header sheet to be placed in front of a hard copy document, or queues electronic records to get imported into the system. We are only storing TIFF images, so even electronic documents are routed through a central Imaging room for quality control. This application sets the security at a document level, based on other index criteria (some of which would correspond to identifying an individual patient).

I would imagine that you could accomplish the same thing by scripting the client to set the keyword. 

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.