cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Merge PDF files

Not applicable

Hi Guys,

I would like to combine PDF files (cover sheet and section 1...n) into new PDF (Book) in OnBase.

So, I was try this 'Document.Imaging.AddPage' work well with TIFF. But it look like not work with PDF.

Does any one have any idea about this?

Thanks,

KOBPONG

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Scott_McLean
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Kobpong,

The "Imaging" class is for working with image renditions (file type 2 - Image file format), so I would not expect this to work with PDF.

There are many third-party PDF tools out there, so what I do in an instance like this is to use one of those APIs to manipulate the PDF and then re-import the modified file. If EDM services is licensed, I will import the updated PDF as a new revision.

If you have the PDF Framework licensed, you could convert to an image, manipulate the image using the AddPage method you referenced, and then convert back to PDF, but the resulting PDF would be image-only (no searchable text layer), so I still find it preferable to use a third-party API to manipulate the PDF.

UPDATE: In v17, you no longer require the PDF Framework license to convert PDF to Image, so if you don't need the PDF to be text-searchable, the above method will work without requiring any third-party APIs.

Hope that helps,

Scott

View answer in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Scott_McLean
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Kobpong,

The "Imaging" class is for working with image renditions (file type 2 - Image file format), so I would not expect this to work with PDF.

There are many third-party PDF tools out there, so what I do in an instance like this is to use one of those APIs to manipulate the PDF and then re-import the modified file. If EDM services is licensed, I will import the updated PDF as a new revision.

If you have the PDF Framework licensed, you could convert to an image, manipulate the image using the AddPage method you referenced, and then convert back to PDF, but the resulting PDF would be image-only (no searchable text layer), so I still find it preferable to use a third-party API to manipulate the PDF.

UPDATE: In v17, you no longer require the PDF Framework license to convert PDF to Image, so if you don't need the PDF to be text-searchable, the above method will work without requiring any third-party APIs.

Hope that helps,

Scott

Thanks for help, i'm trying that way too.

Hi Scott,
I saw your updated answer. There mean I can do combine PDF without PDF Framework license?

Hi Kobpong,
Correct. You can convert the files to image, add all the pages, and then convert back to PDF. It doesn't provide the ability to natively merge PDF files, but you do have a route that doesn't require additional licensing.