cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a limit in OnBase 9.2 for user groups/users with Scan and Doc Import Rights?

Deb_Sutfin
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hello,

In OnBase 9.2, is there a limit to the number of user groups/users that can have "Scan” and “Document Import Processor” and the ability to index that newly imported scan and/or import.

We have a huge backlog of items to import into Onbase.    We want to assign many different people the right to scan documents into the system (and have the scan button enabled), and to be able to import electronic documents as well.     The way we allow this is to assign this role to their user profile in the Administration tool.    We are wondering if there is a limit on how many times we can assign this privilege.

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4

Thomas_Cupp
Employee
Employee

Hi Lulu,

The way the licenses for scanning and DIP work are that they are assigned to the Workstation, not the user. 

So what this means is let's say you've got 100 users who could potentially run a scan process. If each of those 100 users are on their own workstations and will all be scanning at the same time you would have to own 100 scanning licenses.  The same goes for DIP.

In most cases DIP is a process that would run on a scheduled basis.  There's not a lot of value in having someone watch a progress bar while waiting for the DIP to run, and then having to manually kick off another DIP process after the 1st finishes.

Scanning, on the other hand, can usually be handled by a smaller number of individuals if "production" sized scanners are used.  I'm referring to scanners that have the ability to import dozens if not hundreds of pages per minute.

As a point of reference, I used to work in the Imaging Services group here at Hyland.  When I was in that dept. I could personnally scan and index over 3,000 pages in about 12 hours.  In this case 99% of the indexing was handled by barcodes.  I mostly was there to make sure that the images of the scanned pages were clear and legible and to ensure there were no paper jams in the scanner.  We were using a large Kodak scanner at the time, I forget the exact model.

Hopefully this information helps!

Thanks,

Thomas

Thomas, Thanks very much for that information, very helpful.

Can you also tell me if this restriction also applies to importing electronic documents?

Best!

Deb_Sutfin
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Let me clarify my last question.

Is there any limitatiation in regards to users that can do File-Import into OnBase with electronic documents?

Thanks!

Thomas_Cupp
Employee
Employee

Hi Lulu,

There is no limit to the amount of users who can do a straight file import.  Just make sure they belong to a User Group that has the Import and Create privileges.

Hope that helps!