cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is it possible to have multipe file formats within a document type?

Kathy_Ganswindt
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making
Hello, We've got some documents in PDF format, and some in TIFF format. Is it possible to store both of these filetypes within the same document type in OnBase 11? Thanks so much!
4 REPLIES 4

Scott_McLean
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Hi Kathy,

There is nothing that stops you from storing multiple file types as the same document type. The default file format that you configure is used in situations where (for example) you have multiple renditions. In such a case, when you retrieve the document, the rendition whose file format matches the default for the document type would display by default. Likewise, this becomes the assumed file format when importing via DIP processing. So, to import into that document type with non-default file formats, you would need to specify the file format for each document in the index file. But in the general sense, you can store any file format into a document type, regardless of what the default format is.

Kind regards,

-Scott

Hi Scott, Thanks so much for your reply - this is excellent! I'm just not sure how to specify the filetype within the import index. Do I need to add a line item before the files themselves, to specify the file type? Here is an example of how our imports look. They have no headers or anything - just raw calls to files with some parsing for field types."Z:\kwiktag\Repositories\repository\VOL00006\DK004350_031550023_0.PDF"|"2898"|"100366317"|"11/26/2010""Z:\kwiktag\Repositories\50F48622-E97C-4E2A-80F5-01FD033E2552\VOL00860\DK004350_033379392_1.pdf"|"2852"|"100390835"|"07/08/2011"EDIT: Upon reading a little further, it looks like I list a field for the file format before the call to the full path. But where would I find a list of the file format keywords?Thanks so much!

John_Anderson4
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

In Config, if you go into "File Formats" under the Document menu, it shows you all the valid file formats in your system. If you click on one of them, it will show you the file format number for it (you need to use the file format number in the DIP index file).

Oh awesome! Thanks so much, John!
Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.