cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does the 2 GB file size limit still exist in OnBase?

Bruce_Peters1
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I have heard for many years that the largest file allowed in OnBase is 2 GB. Is this still accurate? If so, why is this the file size limit. If not, what is the new file size limit? Or what can I do to allow files larger than 2 GB?

I have several departments looking to put VERY LARGE video files in OnBase that in many cases are much larger than 2 GB.

We are currently using OnBase 16 SP2 with plans to upgrade to OnBase 18 later this year.

11 REPLIES 11

Joel_Moore1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Bruce,

The limitation isn't imposed by OnBase, but by a 32-bit database. We store the file size of each individual file in bytes, and the maximum integer allowed for the INT datatype is 2147483647 - which means you can store roughly 2.1GB for each individual file in a 32-bit architecture.

Databases created prior to OnBase 13 would have been created with the 32-bit architecture, and we have a billable service for converting those databases if that may be of interest to you. Otherwise, you should be on a 64-bit architecture.

I don't happen to have access to any large video files, but I was able to find a few files between 4-7GB that imported successfully in my OnBase 16 Thick Client that's leveraging a 64-bit database architecture. My 32-bit based solutions were not able to import these files, and warned me adequately when attempting to do so.

Hope this helps,

Joel

Bruce_Peters1
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Thank you, this is very helpful and good to know. I will contact our first line of support to inquire about what it will take to convert our OnBase database to the 64-bit architecture.

Ryan_Wakefield
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

Is there an easy way to know what architecture our database is setup in? I know we have 64-bit SQL server installed. However, what I am reading here is that somehow OnBase has it setup so that the database itself is a 32-bit architecture even if it is running on a 64-bit installed instance of MSSQL. Am I understanding this correctly?

As well, my database administrator just told me that since we have a 64-bit MSSQL instance installed that we should probably be using a 64-bit ODBC connection. Is this true? I guess I am just running in to a lot of weird questions and setup concerns that we aren't truly leveraging the system like we should be or something. 😞

Joel_Moore1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Ryan,

You can check in the Thick Client by navigating to Client | Window | System Status. There, you will see in the top-most list a 'Database Version' row. You're concerned with what is in parentheses, here's an example of a value one could see:

Database Version: 3.5-421 (32A)

In this example, the 32 signifies that a 32-bit architecture is in place. If it was 64A, it would be a 64-bit architecture. If you were curious, the values to the left are the current Schema Version you are using.

In regards to your other question, it depends which piece of OnBase is leveraging the ODBC. The Thick and Configuration Clients are 32-bit, therefore need a 32-bit ODBC. The Application Server on the other hand could be 32-bit or 64-bit depending on which version was installed, in which you'd need a matching ODBC. If you had some kind of mismatched ODBC issue, the impacted piece of software would not be working properly and I have a feeling you would have already heard about it internally, so hopefully that will quell your fears a bit.

Best,

Joel