Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Copy 2 for test system

Donna_Schedinge
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi -

I'm creating a test system from a backup of my production system.  In prod we have copy 1 and copy 2 on mass storage.  For the test system, I don't want to have the copy 2's created.  Can I just change the copy 2 setting in my Test Config to be Backup (M/O, WORM, CD-ROM)?  

thanks for the help.

Donna

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Donna Schedinger ,

Yes, that is one option.  You can change the Disk Group Copy to a Backup Platter Type and then promote the Disk Group.  This will leave the Disk Group Copy on the Backup Queue instead of creating a copy of the files in the Disk Group.

Take care.

View answer in original post

5 REPLIES 5

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Donna Schedinger ,

Yes, that is one option.  You can change the Disk Group Copy to a Backup Platter Type and then promote the Disk Group.  This will leave the Disk Group Copy on the Backup Queue instead of creating a copy of the files in the Disk Group.

Take care.

Thanks Adam.  One more question, when I look at the Force Promote, it still shows copy 2 as my production copy 2 location.  My copy 1 location has been changed to the test location.  I'm not sure what the force promote does -  in the platter management MRG it looks like I'll want to do this on all disk groups because I'm creating a test system and changing how the copy 2 is stored.  Will force promote actually move any of the data between copies or just force a new volume to be created in all disk groups?

Hi @Donna Schedinger ,

Some of your questions rely on knowing how the Test Environment was created.  For instance, you can create a Test Environment using the Test System Creation Utility or manually by taking a database backup and restoring it.  

When you use the manual method, all of the Physical Platter paths to the Disk Groups (for all Copies) will need to be updated so they don't point to production.  In this scenario, your secondary copies for all of the Disk Groups would have to be updated to backup copies so they do not point to UNC paths.  While dated, here is a document which discusses this ...

https://community.hyland.com/gallery/items/53540-creating-an-onbase-test-environment

The other method is documented in the Change Management MRG which discusses the Test System Creation Utility (link below).  When using this method, all secondary Copies are marked as backup and then you will only have a single copy referenced to a UNC location.

https://support.hyland.com/r/OnBase/Change-Control/English/Foundation-22.1/Change-Control/Test-Syste...

With respect to your question, the Force Promote will promote all of the Copies associated with the respective Disk Group you selected.  This will create a new Volume.  Assuming you made the change to the Copy 2 Platter Type making it Backup, the promote will no longer be associated with a UNC location, but instead to the Backup Platter Type.  Force Promote does not touch the data in the Disk Groups meaning that it does not move any files.  It simply increments the logical paths (i.e. Volumes).

https://support.hyland.com/r/OnBase/Platter-Management/English/Foundation-22.1/Platter-Management/Co...

Hope this helps.

thanks again Adam!  You are you so helpful with your explanations!