cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practice for Running Multiple OnBase Windows Services on 1 Server

Nina_Aust
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

When running OnBase processes from a Windows Service what is best practice?

1) One Windows Service that runs both the -SCHED and -SCANAUTOCOMMIT switches

OR

2) Run 2 different Windows Services one with -SCHED and one with -SCANAUTOCOMMIT

Let me know what you do?

Thanks

Nina

DTS

6 REPLIES 6

Michael_Butt1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I separate them into two services especially if the volume of data that I'm trying to import or commit is very high. A single windows service instance does one process thread at a time to my knowledge. 

I once set up a single service to schedule a very high volume DIP process and a separate smaller low volume import process.  Since they happen in order, the lower volume process would take quite a long time to run since it was handling the imports from the other scheduled process first. So I separated them in order to get the other processes to run concurrently.

Nina_Aust
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Michael, 

Thank you that helps! 

Quick follow up question - what if we needed one process to run before another - 

Example: 

Process 1 needs to run before Process 2 they are set up on different Windows Services using the -SCHEDINST switch - but each are scheduled to go off every 5 min. 

Do you know of a way to ensure Process 1 kicks off before Process 2 - other than specifically scheduling process 1 to run at a specific time and scheduling process 2 to run after it?

Thanks

Nina

Michael_Butt1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Nina,

I haven't used either of these options before but you could use a process precondition option within the scheduler setup. I think the two options are to check the ./Poll directory for a file or to use "Specific Semaphore". Those allow for a trigger event before processing can begin.

edit: This would require you to write out some sort of file to the poll directory once the prior job is finished. there are various ways  to accomplish that.

Kitty_Evans
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I have 3 services running on the same workstation (virtual). Not only did I separate my funtions into separate services, I also use separate executables for each service by creating extra copies of the Client executable/config files in the Program directory. I do not remember where I read it but I read that doing it this way was the "best practice" if you want to run more than one service on a workstation. Email me privately if you would like additional information.

kitty(dot)evans(at)parallon(dot)com