cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Amazon RDS for Oracle Database

Brian_Bowers
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Does Hyland support the use of Amazon RDS for Oracle Database, assuming that the version of Oracle is supported for the version of OnBase being used?

2 REPLIES 2

Mike_Strobel
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hi Brian,

If the Amazon RDS database platform is one of the platforms listed as supported with OnBase (i.e. Oracle 11g, 12c, etc.) then it is a supported platform.

At a minimum, someone would need to have securityadmin access to run Recreate DB Users. Without the ability to successfully run Recreate DB Users this solution would not be a viable option. Additionally, there are instance level settings we have recommendations for and it's important that you have access to those settings. If you haven't already I would suggest taking a look through the Database Reference Guide to review our recommendations and verify you would be able to meet them.

With that said I do have performance concerns with this purposed configuration. If your Clients and Application Servers are hosted in this same environment, performance might be ok. If they aren't in the same environment then you would essentially be utilizing OnBase over a WAN. The OnBase Client and Configuration are intended for LAN use only - the performance degradation over a WAN is significant. While we do offer several other clients that can be beneficial in a WAN environment (Web Client, Unity Client, etc.), they all rely on an Application Server. That Application Server should be local to the database server (and disk groups) even if the clients are in different locations. If it is not, then the same performance concerns that exist with the Client over a WAN would apply to the Application Server.

While we have numerous customers hosting OnBase in the cloud, I'm not aware of any other customers using a cloud solution for only their OnBase database. If you do decide to go this route, I'd recommend some extensive performance testing.

Hope this helps!

Mike

Mike_Strobel
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Adding an update for anyone who references this post. I'd recommend checking out our Third Party Compatibility page for databases when looking for supported platforms. https://community.hyland.com/technical/third-party-compatibility/third-party-compatibility-list?filt...

Thanks!