cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop scanners

Monte_Vandeusen
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

I understand how to determine which scanners will work with OnBase. But I am interested to know whether any OnBase customers are able to share positive or negative experiences with any desktop scanners - from an operational point of view. We want to deploy several hundred scanners to remote offices, and would like to know about the lemons and the plums. How do they hold up, maintenance issues, complexity to operate.

I found an earlier reference to this, but it's several years old...

Thank you!

13 REPLIES 13

Joe_Pineda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator
Arm yourself with good numbers like expected pages/minute or at least how many pages per day. Is it going to be just paper run through the ADF, or will they need to scan laminated materials?For me, Fujitsu always did the job. Cannon was good for high volume/speed scanning.

Tracy_Luckert
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making
Follow Jose's comment. We also use Fujitsu scanners. We use three basic models, which allows us to keep extra rollers and cleaning supplies. We use Fi5530C2, which is more of a desktop scanner. A Fi6770, which is a flatbed and a Fi6670A, which is for high volume scanning. As far as the maintenance goes, we clean them on a regular basis and change the rollers as needed. We have not had a full maintenance in over two years on the scanners and they work great. The full maintenance is just cleaning out the inside of the scanner that the operator cannot clean. It is recommended to do the maintenance at least once a year on them. Also if you are looking for a large format scanner, Contex HD3630 is an awesome scanner. If are deploying that many scanners, I would recommend sticking with the Fi5530C2 scanner. We use this scanner at our off-site locations and never had a problem with them and are very user friendly.

Jay_MacVean
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

The scanner market place changes all the time with new models showing up all the time with new features and designs.  The best scanner for one situation might not be your best scanner either.  Don't be shy about asking your vendor for some trial units so that you can get used to the features and performance. Since you need several hundred they will be more than happy to comply.

Jose_Contreras
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Currently we use 7160 fujitsu scanners.  They really work great.  Reliable and fast!  Depending on what version of onbase you have depends on what drivers you need.  For example Onbase 13 and below its better to use non 64 bit drivers.  Also the drivers its best to include twain and isis.  As far as I have seen these scanners will last you a minimum of 4 years before you need to replace the rollers.  To this day I have not seen 1 break from usage.  Hope this helps.