cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workflow - Compose Document from template

Kevin_Granger
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

When using the workflow action compose document to create a document from a template is there any additional processing that can be done? In my case the user creates the document via an ad hoc task and needs to edit the document. Then when the updates are complete and the document is saved it needs to enter the workflow for additional processing. Ideally I would like to continue processing within the ad hoc task that started the document.

Has anyone implemented this in the past before I go down the rabbit hole and process as a created document as a related document or add the composed document to the workflow?

Thoughts??

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

This is pretty common. 

You can force the storage and display of the document through the template settings or override it from the workflow action. Example:

44fdfb75b4c74287b2e1530daea59121

If you choose to archive the document and the doc type is assigned to a LC it should show up in the initial queue automatically. You can also retrieve the composed document using the Rule: Related Item Exists and then use an Action: Add Item to Life Cycle to add it to a specific LC/Queue.

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

This is pretty common. 

You can force the storage and display of the document through the template settings or override it from the workflow action. Example:

44fdfb75b4c74287b2e1530daea59121

If you choose to archive the document and the doc type is assigned to a LC it should show up in the initial queue automatically. You can also retrieve the composed document using the Rule: Related Item Exists and then use an Action: Add Item to Life Cycle to add it to a specific LC/Queue.

Kevin_Granger
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Thanks for the quick response, I was hoping for an streamlined mechanism other than querying for a related item or passing the created document to the LC but alas that is not the case.

Thanks again,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

One of the things Eric mentioned below:

"If you choose to archive the document and the doc type is assigned to a LC it should show up in the initial queue automatically."

In other words, if your template is configured to save the new document to a Document Type that is configured on a Lifecycle, it will enter workflow on import and go directly to the default Queue (usually Initial). It's pretty painless.