cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inserting placeholders in multiple fragments

Susan_Walker
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Is there any way to insert placeholders/workview attributes in numerous fragments without having to recreate them for every fragment?

3 REPLIES 3

Francois_Gast
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Hi Susan, it's technically possible (and we tried) but we had mixed results. In essence, you can insert fragments in clauses surrounded by characters that workflow can detect and replace by a predefined value from an attribute. 

Our stance is to leverage scripts to do so in a reliable way. 

Susan_Walker
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Thank you Francois.  That was a very complicated answer for someone of my ability.  I am a user inserting placeholders in Doc Comp, not quite as technical as all that.  Lol.   

In short, it would have been nice if there was a "placeholder library" where once you create a placeholder,  it is stored in a repeating placeholders library that can be used over multiple templates, similar to creating a new placeholder and having the pop up show either new Placeholder or Repeating Placeholder.   The Repeating Placeholder would be the library of pre-made placeholders and could open similar to when you create a new placeholder and get the Workview types option.  That way, the naming convention and the placeholders would be consistent and it would only be a one click insert instead of trying to remember what you named the placeholder previously and then had to chose from the long confusing list of workview attributes, some of which are named similarly.  (i.e., ContractVendorContact/Company Name vs. ContractXExternalContactAdd/Company Name.  Your vendor is also an external contact so you can see where the confusion may come in.  this is only one of many.)  

I appreciate your time and answers.   🙂

Francois_Gast
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Oh, my bad! I thought you were referring to a different feature in OnBase. I'm tagging the Doc Comp group to see if we can have their input. Thank you for clarifying!