Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document Composition Best Practice for 100+ Fragments

Ujjwal_Shrestha
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hi Everyone

I have 11 letter that uses lot of fragment, i am counting total of 100+ fragments (each fragment could be a 1-2 page) that needs to go into 11 Letters. Some letters could use 1 or 2 fragment, some letter have 20+ fragment depending on the conditions. So i would like to know the best practice and how to best use the fragment so that the letter composition runs efficiently.

• Should i put all the fragment in one template
  • Should i divide the fragments in each template. 1 fragment in 1 template (i dont really like this because then i will have 100+ template but it makes the letter creation go faster, i will do it)
  • Or put all the fragment used by 1 letter in one template. So i will end up having 11 template with fragments for 11 letters.

basically, i would like to learn how document composition loads each fragments so that i can get the best performance

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

Dave_Feit1
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I have had success creating a single "Fragments" template where all of my frags are stored.  I use Word formatting (i.e. Headers) to offset the different fragments (and making them easier to find later on for editing).  You can also insert any informational text (such as "This fragment contains the first and last name as well as their email address") to know at a glance what your fragments do.

Then in your individual templates you can pull these fragments in (either straight up, of via conditional logic) without having to recreate them multiple times.

I can't speak to the speed of composition, but from a creation / maintenance standpoint, a single fragments template is the way to go.