Esri integration functional/connectivity problem

Aakash_Soni
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

HI Community

Here is what we are using.
-OnBase Version 16.0.1.51
- WebApp builder from Esri 2.1

We have installed the GIS Service and a Arcgis sdk is now displaying from the onbase server.... after that we want Esri as a frontend and onbase as a back end......so we configure the WAB (With the help of one of the video which is provided by "Jessica vorobel" on the community)......and we are using the online portal of ArcGIS for getting the map and the layer and VM is locally hosted....

When we are configuring the widget from the WAB, it asks us for a service url of the GisWebAPI in WAB configurations.  The service url we supply the interface fires off an error that says.  

"Error. The service url maybe incorrect or misconfigured!"

We have been stuck for a few weeks on this and decided to give the community support.

Thank you

2 ACCEPTED ANSWERS

David_Juliano
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hi Aakash!

Many of our team members are still on Christmas vacation, but I will do my best. I can at least let you know that the message you are receiving about the "may be incorrect or misconfigured!" results from not being able to retrieve data successfully from the OnBase GIS Web API.

I would go through and make sure everything is configured correctly such that you can "hit" the OnBase GIS Web API and retrieve data. A good and simple test I use is to type the following in a web browser:

http://hostname.organization.com/GISWebApi/api/GisService/RequireApiLogin

Ensure the protocol is correct (http vs. https)- use the dmsVirtualRoot value exactly as it is typed in your Web.config file for the OnBase GIS Web API for the "hostname.organization.com/GISWebAPI" part in my example URL. The rest should be typed verbatim as above- "/api/GisService/RequireApiLogin".

In the case of IE11, after hitting this test URL you should be prompted to download and save the data returned- this is a good sign. I believe Chrome and FireFox just display true or false- as XML data right in the browser. If you see true or false, you are also good.

If you cannot retrieve data from this test successfully, the problem can then be confined to incorrectly installing or configuring the OnBase GIS Web API.

One important and very helpful tip is to make sure the OnBase GIS Web API is installed on the same domain as the WebApp Builder mapping application. This will avoid CORS issues, and remove any need to configure or worry about CORS at all.

Another tip is to treat the dmsVirtualRoot in the Web.config for the OnBase GIS Web API as a case-sensitive value both in the config file, and when adding the Widget in WebApp Builder.

Yet another tip is to test pinging your AppServer at the test page to ensure it is up and running.

Once you have the Web API installed on the same server and domain as the WAB mapping application, it's then time to figure out what authentication methodology your organization will use, if any.

For further, detailed information, I suggest thoroughly reading the Module Resource Guides- PDF downloads are available on Community if you do not already have them handy. There are specific sections devoted to the WAB Widget in the Integration for Esri MRG, and authentication in the Network Security MRG. Your first line of support should also be able to assist with your installation and configuration needs.

I hope this information helps. I wish you a joyous New Year!

David

View answer in original post

Jess_Vorobel
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Hi Aakash,

David gave a lot of really great information, but I wanted to call out one aspect of your question.

Because the WAB developer edition is a hosted application builder and uses a port, there can sometimes be red herring errors displaying, such as the "Error. The service url maybe incorrect or misconfigured!" error you are seeing. Basically, the error may be displaying despite your URL being correct. Have you attempted to test further even if this error message appears?

One thing we suggest is that once you have pointed your application to the Web Map you want to use and inserted the correct OnBase GIS Web API URL is to download the application and deploy it locally and keep testing it that way. If issues persist, you will be able to troubleshoot using applications like Fiddler and Diagnostics Console.

Thanks,

Jessica

View answer in original post

2 REPLIES 2

David_Juliano
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hi Aakash!

Many of our team members are still on Christmas vacation, but I will do my best. I can at least let you know that the message you are receiving about the "may be incorrect or misconfigured!" results from not being able to retrieve data successfully from the OnBase GIS Web API.

I would go through and make sure everything is configured correctly such that you can "hit" the OnBase GIS Web API and retrieve data. A good and simple test I use is to type the following in a web browser:

http://hostname.organization.com/GISWebApi/api/GisService/RequireApiLogin

Ensure the protocol is correct (http vs. https)- use the dmsVirtualRoot value exactly as it is typed in your Web.config file for the OnBase GIS Web API for the "hostname.organization.com/GISWebAPI" part in my example URL. The rest should be typed verbatim as above- "/api/GisService/RequireApiLogin".

In the case of IE11, after hitting this test URL you should be prompted to download and save the data returned- this is a good sign. I believe Chrome and FireFox just display true or false- as XML data right in the browser. If you see true or false, you are also good.

If you cannot retrieve data from this test successfully, the problem can then be confined to incorrectly installing or configuring the OnBase GIS Web API.

One important and very helpful tip is to make sure the OnBase GIS Web API is installed on the same domain as the WebApp Builder mapping application. This will avoid CORS issues, and remove any need to configure or worry about CORS at all.

Another tip is to treat the dmsVirtualRoot in the Web.config for the OnBase GIS Web API as a case-sensitive value both in the config file, and when adding the Widget in WebApp Builder.

Yet another tip is to test pinging your AppServer at the test page to ensure it is up and running.

Once you have the Web API installed on the same server and domain as the WAB mapping application, it's then time to figure out what authentication methodology your organization will use, if any.

For further, detailed information, I suggest thoroughly reading the Module Resource Guides- PDF downloads are available on Community if you do not already have them handy. There are specific sections devoted to the WAB Widget in the Integration for Esri MRG, and authentication in the Network Security MRG. Your first line of support should also be able to assist with your installation and configuration needs.

I hope this information helps. I wish you a joyous New Year!

David

Jess_Vorobel
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Hi Aakash,

David gave a lot of really great information, but I wanted to call out one aspect of your question.

Because the WAB developer edition is a hosted application builder and uses a port, there can sometimes be red herring errors displaying, such as the "Error. The service url maybe incorrect or misconfigured!" error you are seeing. Basically, the error may be displaying despite your URL being correct. Have you attempted to test further even if this error message appears?

One thing we suggest is that once you have pointed your application to the Web Map you want to use and inserted the correct OnBase GIS Web API URL is to download the application and deploy it locally and keep testing it that way. If issues persist, you will be able to troubleshoot using applications like Fiddler and Diagnostics Console.

Thanks,

Jessica