cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can a dashboard grid display autoname bold formatting?

Kirk_Sumpter1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

I have a data provider set up that returns document names for a document type that uses bold formatting in the autoname string.  

When I set up a grid on a dashboard and view the results, rather than the document name being properly displayed with a portion in bold font, it instead displays the autoname with the formatting tags like this:

<bold> EOP/FEB </bold>  Name: John Doe

Is there a way to force the grid to display the name properly?  I don't see any formatting options for that column, any help would be greatly appreciated!

2 ACCEPTED ANSWERS

Malcolm_Saltzma
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi @Kirk Sumpter,

I suggest to utilize a calculated field that pulls the document keywords to re-create the auto-naming of your document. The only drawback that this solution has is that it is a tad bit indirect as you can't just pull the document's name directly, and you may not be able to partially bold the names.

For information on how to make a calculated field, please refer to the Reporting Dashboards MRG PDF page 102 or physical page 92.

Hope this helps!

Malcolm

View answer in original post

Kirk_Sumpter1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Thanks Malcolm, situationally, that might work well, but we also use the underlying data provider to feed timer report extracts and a basic report as well.  Yours is a great suggestion that I'll keep in mind for the future, but for anyone else needing to find a similar answer, we solved this using SQL statements in the custom SQL data provider...here's what that ended up looking like to pull out the bold tags in the autoname:

CONCAT (SUBSTRING(SUBSTRING(id.itemname, 0 , CHARINDEX('</bold>',id.itemname)), 7, len(SUBSTRING(id.itemname, 0 , CHARINDEX('</bold>',id.itemname)))),
substring(id.itemname,(charindex ('</bold>',id.itemname)+7),len(id.itemname))) as 'Document Name',

True SQL gurus may have a slightly more elegant way to achieve this, but this one works, and will strip off the <bold> and </bold> tags assuming the bold portion of the autoname is at the beginning of the string.

I'm going to mark this question answered since we've got two alternatives to achieving this.

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Malcolm_Saltzma
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi @Kirk Sumpter,

I suggest to utilize a calculated field that pulls the document keywords to re-create the auto-naming of your document. The only drawback that this solution has is that it is a tad bit indirect as you can't just pull the document's name directly, and you may not be able to partially bold the names.

For information on how to make a calculated field, please refer to the Reporting Dashboards MRG PDF page 102 or physical page 92.

Hope this helps!

Malcolm

Kirk_Sumpter1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Thanks Malcolm, situationally, that might work well, but we also use the underlying data provider to feed timer report extracts and a basic report as well.  Yours is a great suggestion that I'll keep in mind for the future, but for anyone else needing to find a similar answer, we solved this using SQL statements in the custom SQL data provider...here's what that ended up looking like to pull out the bold tags in the autoname:

CONCAT (SUBSTRING(SUBSTRING(id.itemname, 0 , CHARINDEX('</bold>',id.itemname)), 7, len(SUBSTRING(id.itemname, 0 , CHARINDEX('</bold>',id.itemname)))),
substring(id.itemname,(charindex ('</bold>',id.itemname)+7),len(id.itemname))) as 'Document Name',

True SQL gurus may have a slightly more elegant way to achieve this, but this one works, and will strip off the <bold> and </bold> tags assuming the bold portion of the autoname is at the beginning of the string.

I'm going to mark this question answered since we've got two alternatives to achieving this.

To clarify my comments above, using this SQL doesn't display the autoname with the bold formatting, it simply strips the formatting tags and displays regular text.  Malcolm's answer might be useful if you're wanting to maintain the bold formatting, but I did not test that out.