Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unity Client - Multiple Environments

Seth_Yantiss
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Good morning all!

Does anyone know of a way to point the Unity Client to a different server instance?

I want to have to option, preferably from a shortcut, to launch Unity against my TEST, DR, and PROD environments.  I can do this with the Thick Client and obviously the web client on the same machine, and am hoping there is a way to do it with the Unity Client.

This is not something I want for my users...  just for the Administrative team.

Cheers,
Seth

9 REPLIES 9

Danielle_Durda
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Hi Mike,

I'm not sure what the spot you mention above refers to, but I've only located my obunity.exe.config file in the location mentioned in Justin's post. That's the default location that the config file gets saved to, so maybe your location saves it somewhere else. Could you check with the people that install(ed) Unity in their documentation to see if they use a different location as default?

Hi Mike,If you are using the Unity Click Once installer then yes that would most likely be the location. The reason I say most likely is that it's possible that there are multiple folders in that directory depending on whether you have made changes and republished the click once.The best way to determine the proper executable is if you are on Windows 7, run task manager and right click on the obunity.exe process and select open file location.Thanks!

Angela_Hahn
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise
Hello Seth,
I had a question. Have you (or anyone else) found a way to simulate the drop-down functionality in the Thick/Config clients? Is there a way to make them present a drop-down to select which environment you want to go into similar to what the Unity client does if you modify the obunity.exe.config file? I find having multiple icons a bit confusing and error prone...

Thanks!
~Angela

Ansley_Ingram
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator
Hi Angela,

By default, the OnBase Client and Configuration have a drop down menu on the login dialog to choose the ODBC source you are connecting to when you enter your credentials. However, your shortcuts may be configured for Auto Login which would bypass the login screen.

If you take a look at your shortcut to the Client (right-click > properties) and look in the Target field, if you see -ODBC="Something" then your Client is configured to use that ODBC source by default. There are some other command line options that may also be in use there - some of which work together to automatically log you in. The System Administration MRG has a section on Command Line Switches and Login Options that may be beneficial to you.

Hope that helps.
Ansley

Angela_Hahn
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise
Thanks for the response Ansley. Unfortunately we utilize different switches in the different environments we have as well as Auto-login functionality and occasionally specified user logins when we are testing as a user of a group. This brings us to a possible total of 8 or more icons on the desktop at a time (Thick environment 1,2,3, Config environment 1,2,3, Unity, Studio plus specified user logins)!

To work around this I wound up writing a batch file to switch between then environments and pointing the desktop shortcut "Target" properties to the batch file. Not an optimal workaround but better than 50 different icons I guess!

Thank you,
Angela