cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to set up Security Keywords for HR leave requests. Need help with the difference of static versus username.

Justin_Manibog
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

goal is to allow employees to search only their own.  I can get it to work if I do it on a user level, but how do I use their employee ID on a group level?  I want to set it up as employee ID, but static would be to on e employee. I don't know how the "username" feature would work.

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Bryan_Hurless
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

No problem Justin!
You are correct, the "<< User Name >>" option pulls directly from the User Names and Passwords dialog in Configuration.  For Individual exclusions you would have to set the security Keyword at the User Level. 

You would simply select the "Cougar ID" Keyword from the Keyword Type drop down list then enter the corresponding ID # Value for whichever User you are configuring the Security Keyword for.

This will allow the user with a Cougar ID of 123456789 to only see documents with a Cougar ID of 123456789.

Any user without a Security Keyword configured will be able to return all results.

Unfortunately setting something up at the User Group level would not work for what you are trying to do.  It would work if everyone in a particular group had to see a subset of documents.  Lets say there are 3 locations, North, South and West.  If employees of a location should see the documents that are relevant to their work locale you would configure a location Keyword and set one for each user group. West Employees would get a "Location" Keyword of West and only be able to return documents containing that Keyword.

I hope this helps!

Thanks again for using the OnBase Community!

View answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Bryan_Hurless
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Thank you for using the OnBase Community Justin!

For more information on Security Keywords I would suggest reviewing the System Administration Module Reference Guide (~ page 716 in the OnBase 17 Guide).

I'd also recommend taking a look at the following Premium Video on Security Keywords

https://training.onbase.com/courses/P1376-Security-Keywords

As far as the "<< USERNAME >>" Security Keyword feature, this can be used at the User Level to do exactly what you are trying to do.  This does take a little bit of some setup and you may need to add a Keyword and values to some existing Document Types and Documents.

The first step is to create a new Uppercase Alphanumeric Keyword Type, call it something like Username.

Once the Keyword Type has been created you can configure the Security Keyword on the User.  In Configuration open up the User Names & Passwords dialog.

Select the User you want to configure a Security Keyword for and click the "Security Keywords" button.

As you can see in the image above I selected the "SHIP_CLERK" user, then selected the New "Username" Keyword Type I configured in the step before.  Once the Alphanumeric Keyword has been selected from the "Keyword Type" drop down list, the "Username" radio button becomes available. Select this and click "Save".

Now you just have to make sure that the Keyword you created and configured as a Security Keyword exists on the Document Type(s) you wish to have secured by Security Keywords.

I already had Documents in my system with values for these Security Keywords, after logging in using the "SHIP_CLERK" user and running a document retrieval you can see that this user will only pull back results with the username value of "SHIP_CLERK".

OnBase pulls this value from the "User Names & Passwords" dialog from Configuration.

If another user logs in they will only return the Documents with their Username value.

In the screenshot above, the "PO_MAN" user has logged in and ran a retrieval on the same two Document Types.

When a User who has no security Keywords runs the same search they will get all results back, in the example below an Admin/Manager user has run an unrestricted search on both Document Types.

I hope this helps answer your question!

Wow! Thank you Brian for such a detailed answer. So the <> will only be one to one on the keyword of Username? I achieved this by doing a KW of Cougar ID which is unique to each employee and made it static on the User level. By doing that, the user was able to pull back only their Leave requests. What I am ultimately trying to do is have all employees to be able to search their own. So I was trying to figure out to set up the Security on the User group level, but Static would be one persons ID and username was my other option. So do I need to set up that security for each employee on the user level?

Bryan_Hurless
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

No problem Justin!
You are correct, the "<< User Name >>" option pulls directly from the User Names and Passwords dialog in Configuration.  For Individual exclusions you would have to set the security Keyword at the User Level. 

You would simply select the "Cougar ID" Keyword from the Keyword Type drop down list then enter the corresponding ID # Value for whichever User you are configuring the Security Keyword for.

This will allow the user with a Cougar ID of 123456789 to only see documents with a Cougar ID of 123456789.

Any user without a Security Keyword configured will be able to return all results.

Unfortunately setting something up at the User Group level would not work for what you are trying to do.  It would work if everyone in a particular group had to see a subset of documents.  Lets say there are 3 locations, North, South and West.  If employees of a location should see the documents that are relevant to their work locale you would configure a location Keyword and set one for each user group. West Employees would get a "Location" Keyword of West and only be able to return documents containing that Keyword.

I hope this helps!

Brain, this does help a lot. one more question I promise! So setting up that security KW at the user level, I am assuming that will be relevant for all doc types that user has access to. So how should I approach it? say user Justin needs access to only his leave requests, but is also part of a user group that has access to documents for other employees or a Supervisor needing access to their own leave requests and just their subordinates?