cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Set a Note Title using unity API

Smitha_Challa
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

This is the code I am using to add a note. What if I wanted the note Title to be in a different format or have a custom notetitle? There does not seem to a setter for the NoteTitle. How do I set the note title using the API? I can set a text but not Note title. 

e26e75254ff244dab35cb6630062ec6b

d2a6af5264a94d57a75a42b9e4948a55

6 REPLIES 6

Justin_Carlson
Employee
Employee

Note Type's have a configurable Auto Name string similar to a Document Type. So the Name (or Title) is not something you can change (through the API or through the client), it is dynamically determined based on the Note Types Auto Name settings. Unless I am missing what you are describing (in your screen shot example it is "MANAGER 09/11/2020 2:52:48PM" EDIT: it is actually "Comments - 9/11/2020").

So if you want the value to be different you would need to change the AutoName configuration for the Note Type.

0d7fb18eada44190a87641fcd7ef2406

Hi Justin,

Couple of Questions

a) What is the difference between Username % U and Real UserName % R?

b) In my screenshot I changed the Configuration to %N (Comments). Why am I seeing the date and user also ? I am seeing Comments in Line 1 which makes sense, its because of %N.                

Line 2 Manager 09/15/2020 11:19:07AM doesn't make sense. I don't want to see Line2 or any username. Its a good feature but as of now I don't want it. 

54e1e5ce6187425288c708fea981fffb

eb0fb3b42b37454aa31bc2f20525ac85

So I made a mistake in my initial response when I stated the Name/Title was "MANAGER 09/11/2020 2:52:48PM", that is simply the time stamp and the user, I don't believe you can control this. The top row is the actual Name/Title, so in your initial question the Name would have been "Comments - 9/11/2020". This is most likely because your Note Type is called "Comments" so the AutoName was configured as "%N - %D2" So it was the Note Type name followed by the Note Date. So this is why in your new test you see the top row was changed to "MANAGER-MANAGER", because the autoname configuration was changed. 

Regarding your question on the difference between User Name and Real User Name, this is actually a configuration on Users. The Username is the actual value used to log in, but you can also configure a User's Real Name. So for example my Username may be JCARLSON but my real name is configured as Justin Carlson. By default the User's Real Name will simply equal the Username. 

You can update this in the Settings for a user. The benefit of Username is it is going to be unique (but as you can see it is already automatically added to line 2 of the note header, so it may be redundant).

Hi Justin, 

Another question. Is there a way to get the Id of the newly added note or updated note? 

Thank you