cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server & Client Requirements for Unity Base Modules

JanetJenkinsATL
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I have been tasked to provide Web Server, App Server and Client workstations hardware specifications to my management team for our OnBase infrastructure upgrade.  We just upgraded to OnBase 12 in production on 9/27/2012(yay)!  We currently have 500 - 1,000 uses and we plan to expand upwards to 3,500 - 4,000 users as a part of our long term OnBase expansion goals. 

We plan to deploy the following modules:

Phase 1:

• Integration for Microsoft Outlook 2007
  • OBA 2007
  • Virtual Print Driver
  • AppEnabler 
Phase 2:
  • Unity

I reviewed the minimum Server and Unity hardware requirements documented in the MRG's for each of modules I listed above and for the Web /  App servers, however the recommended requirements are rather vague.   

I would like to know the hardware specs of customers who are running OnBase with the Unity based modules. For the Web Server, App Server and Client workstations.  I would also like to know Hyland's recommendation.  Please provide specifics, number of  cores / processors, type of processor, speed,  RAM, etc.  The more specifics the better!    TIA! 

1 REPLY 1

Greg_Seaton
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi Janet,

If you have not already seen our Scaling and Sizing Hardware documents, I would suggest taking a look at those first. The documents can be found in the Technical White Papers - Performance and Scalability topic.

When sizing out hardware, it is very difficult to come up with specific numbers as each OnBase system can vary by a great deal. A good start would be to look at how you are currently running. You say 500-1000 users, but how many of them are concurrent users (logged in at one time and performing work)? Are the users you have now going to be doing the same work as the ones added at a later time?

Scaling out Web and Application Servers can be done relatively easily by adding more and load balancing them. They are typically CPU bound. Sizing out the database will require more detailed monitoring and planning. You will want to watch your current CPU, memory and I/O activity as they are the most common areas of concern for the database. The database will need to be scaled up to accommodate the additional user activity.

A general recommendation for the Unity Client workstations would be 2-4 cores, 4GB RAM and a dedicated video card with at least 256MB video memory and DirectX 9 hardware acceleration.

If there are any specific questions, you can contact your account manager and have them setup a meeting with the Hyland performance team to discuss this in more detail.