cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sensitivity Label Impact on MS Word Documents Stored in OnBase

Paul_Miller1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

We are currently pilot testing the use of MS Word Sensitivity Labels. We store quite a few MS Word documents in OnBase and have concerns over the security settings applied to our MS Word documents that may bypass/obstruct OnBase security. For example, if the MS Word document is labelled as "Sensitive"  and that setting only allows specific Domain Users access to view/read that document, what would happen within OnBase? Would OnBase respect those settings even though the document may be assigned to OnBase User Roles that are not part of the "Sensitive" label within OnBase? I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me that this is or is not an issue in OnBase. We are also discussing the use of Retention Labels for our MS Word documents but I would assume this would be a problem in OnBase and our implementation of the Document Retention module. 

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Logan_Tackett
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hey @Paul Miller,

When OnBase opens files that require special viewers (PDFs, Word documents, etc.), OnBase opens these files in their respective viewers. Which means that OnBase will open up any word documents through an integrated version of Word and the user should be signed in and thus your MS Word Sensitivity Labels would ideally hold.

As both Word Retention Labels and the OnBase Document Retention module both effectively do the same thing, attempting to use them both simultaneously would probably end up causing some errors. If you are mainly looking to manage/view the documents in OnBase I would recommend sticking to the Document Retention module to ensure full compatibility.

Thanks,

Logan

View answer in original post

1 REPLY 1

Logan_Tackett
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hey @Paul Miller,

When OnBase opens files that require special viewers (PDFs, Word documents, etc.), OnBase opens these files in their respective viewers. Which means that OnBase will open up any word documents through an integrated version of Word and the user should be signed in and thus your MS Word Sensitivity Labels would ideally hold.

As both Word Retention Labels and the OnBase Document Retention module both effectively do the same thing, attempting to use them both simultaneously would probably end up causing some errors. If you are mainly looking to manage/view the documents in OnBase I would recommend sticking to the Document Retention module to ensure full compatibility.

Thanks,

Logan