cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Running ONBASE as a Service

Don_Barkley
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Is there a setup guide to run ONBASE as a service and any feedback on how you are using it would be great.

Thanks

Don Barkley

21 REPLIES 21

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

Page 457 of the SystemAdmin1200 MRG has complete instructions. Look for the section titled "Running the OnBase Client as a Windows Service".

I have set this up dozens of times covering topics of HL7 Listeners, HL7 Processors, Scheduled Sweep, Scheduled Dip, Scheduled COLD, and a few others. Biggest obstacle for me is getting a Windows (NT) account with "log on as a service" role and the appropiate permissions for the process I am trying to run. Most common tech support issue is that same windows account having a password change or expiration.

MichaelBertrand
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Here are a few tips that I have found and/or used:

- When running multiple OnBase thick clients as a service, make copies of OBCLNT32.EXE and rename each to properly identify what it is doing (to what service it is associated). When something goes wrong with the service and you need to kill the process, you will see which one is which in Process Monitor. 

- Make sure you log on once as the OnBase user you are using for the service, to make sure you accept the agreement and that the user has appropriate rights. Obviously this will not work for services requiring a SERVICE ACCOUNT user. 

- Likewise, running your service with a Windows service user, make sure the user has access to the relevant file locations to read/write the data it needs to. We have not really tried running OnBase services using the Windows Service account for login (i.e. LDAP or AD integration)

- Typically we also add the following options for every service: -QUIETDISCONNECT -NOSTATUS -NOUI -SILENT -SBCLIENT   It seems to make things more stable, just like Homers tiger repelling rock! Other options might be available. Typically we run an importing service and a WF Timer. 

-  Get a hold of the OnBase service monitoring tool from your FLOS. You will spot some errors with this. 

Don_Barkley
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Thanks for the info. The service is installed and running. Is there anything else that needs to be done to have the service do COLD processing?

Shane_Boss
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

If COLD is scheduled on the machine service is running then you should be Ok. 

We use client instances for our processing, so we have a Clients running as service for COLD, DIP, SWEEP, Centera backups...etc.   Our scheduled jobs are set to run on a client instance so we have services for each instance.  Below is an example of the additional arguments from our COLD client running as service.

-SCHEDINST="Cold" -ODBC="DBNAME"

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.