cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Process Tuning Settings Questions

Ryan_Wakefield
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

So I was listening to a training video surrounding database optimization suggestions and one suggestion was to make sure that the Process Tuning Settings were set appropriately. For example, setting the number of document handles to grab to something respectable to the process that is being executed (i.e. DIP). However, I was wondering, is there a way to configure different Process Tuning settings per OnBase Client Windows Service? So for a service that is doing DIP jobs that are typically around 100,000 documents, I might increase the number of document handles to grab in a block to a couple hundred. It mentioned about storing them in the onbase32.ini file, but I want to be sure how to configure this appropriately.

Thanks.

2 ACCEPTED ANSWERS

MichaelBertrand
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

A potential solution to this is if the settings are stored in the onbase32.ini file you could have multiple of them, with the various options, and use the command line option to select the INI file in the shortcut / service configuration. 

View answer in original post

Michael_Reindel
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Process tuning settings are stored in the OnBase32.ini for each process, so each process can have a different set of tuning variables.

For example, to set the number of filenamenums and itemnums reserved each time OnBase queries for them to 100, set the following:

BlockItemnumsSize=100

BlockFilenameSize=100

To lock the disk group while processing, set this:

PMBlockUpdate=1

Be aware though that these setttings can have adverse effects when used incorrectly. Locking a disk group should only be used for backfile import processes where no other process will try to write to that disk group. Setting the itemnum and filename variables will grab that number regardless of how many documents are being imported, so if a process only imports 1 document, 99 itemnums and filenamenums will be 'wasted' each time the process runs. 

Reserving more than 100 of either has not shown to improve performance and so the max you should reserve is 100. 

Mike

View answer in original post

4 REPLIES 4

MichaelBertrand
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

A potential solution to this is if the settings are stored in the onbase32.ini file you could have multiple of them, with the various options, and use the command line option to select the INI file in the shortcut / service configuration. 

I was thinking about this as well.

There is a Thick Client switch "-SEEDINI=<path to ini>" that is really useful here.

Command Line Switches - OnBase Foundation EP5 Module Reference Guide (hyland.com)

Ok. I had a feeling that this was going to be the best solution in the end, but I figured I would ask about it and verify before I went too far down this rabbit hole. lol

Thanks!

Michael_Reindel
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Hi Ryan,

Process tuning settings are stored in the OnBase32.ini for each process, so each process can have a different set of tuning variables.

For example, to set the number of filenamenums and itemnums reserved each time OnBase queries for them to 100, set the following:

BlockItemnumsSize=100

BlockFilenameSize=100

To lock the disk group while processing, set this:

PMBlockUpdate=1

Be aware though that these setttings can have adverse effects when used incorrectly. Locking a disk group should only be used for backfile import processes where no other process will try to write to that disk group. Setting the itemnum and filename variables will grab that number regardless of how many documents are being imported, so if a process only imports 1 document, 99 itemnums and filenamenums will be 'wasted' each time the process runs. 

Reserving more than 100 of either has not shown to improve performance and so the max you should reserve is 100. 

Mike