Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnBase18 Unity client and EP5

Inger_Granli
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi

We are upgrading from OnBase 18 to EP5, and were hoping to be able to run the v18 Unity Client towards the EP5 database for a short periode.   Ufortunately we are getting an error when starting up the client, presumably caused by changes to the datamodel. 

I have not found any information suggesting that this should not work for these two versions, so I wonder if anyone else has tried to do this and succeeded?  

If so, what do we need to do to make it work?  We are running on Oracle DB.

2 ACCEPTED ANSWERS

George_Sialmas
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Inger

I recently configured an IPUP environment for a customer in which the old version was still accessible whilst the customer performs UAT on EP5. What this involved was having a new Application Server being provisioned in order to install/configure Application Server x64 EP5 version. The existing Application Server remained as the old (current) version which was 16. 

Having two Application Servers for the old version and the new version allows for the Unity Client v16 to continue to connect to the Application Server v16 and Unity Client EP5 to connect to Application Server vEP5. So far, I have not come across any issue for this IPUP environment, in which Unity Client v16 not working. It works perfectly fine because it connects via the Application Server v16 build and not via the new Application Server EP5 build.

Without knowing your environment, I'm going to take a stab in the dark and assume that when you state that you upgraded OnBase 18 to EP5, did you keep the Application Server v18 or did you upgrade this to EP5? If you have upgraded it to EP5 and you do not have the old Application Server (v18) anymore then you will not be able to get Unity Client v18 to connect to a newer Application Server (EP5) build.

Regards,

George

View answer in original post

Inger_Granli
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hi George,

thanks for your quick response. 

What we actually did was to install EP5 on a set of new application servers. We have also installed OnBase 18 appserver on these new servers.  We have  tried to set up a new database connection from the old appservers to the EP5 database, but the same error occurs.

What happens is that when we try to connect to the EP5 database from OnBase 18 we get an ORA-32795: cannot insert into a generated alwasy identity column

Examining the database I can see that several log-tables has a change in datatype from number to 'Identity column, ‘Generated Always as identity…'  for some of  their columns, amongst these is SECURITYLOG.SECURITYLOGNUM which I suspect is the problem during logon.

I am glad to hear that you did not experience this from version 16, then probably it should work for our environment also.   Any suggestions on what could be wrong? 

Regards,

Inger

View answer in original post

16 REPLIES 16

H iInger, we have an SQL db, not Oracle, sorry.

Daniel_Johnson1
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

If I'm not mistaken, at least one possible reason is the database. When upgrading from 18 to EP4 I had to first upgrade the database to foundations (EP1) then perform the upgrade again for the database and environment. They way Unity is written in 18 versus EP4 and beyond may have an impact as well. I know this isn't definitive but it's based on my experiences of attempting to get off of 18 and into foundations.

Hi.

I agree with Daniel, going from 18 to EP5 is a very big step, in EP the IDP and the Api Server appear, among other characteristics that have changed the DB we knew and possibly you will not be able to enter the Unity client until at least be in EP1. Have you already tried installing an App Server version 18 exclusively for the Unity client? Suddenly it might work, otherwise you have to move everything to some EP.

Thank you.

@Daniel M Johnson you're not mistaken. When upgrading to EP4 and higher from an OnBase build that is prior to EP3, you need to upgrade the DB twice. The steps are:

1. Upgrading from pre-EP3 version: First you need to upgrade the DB to EP3 schema using OnBase Configuration (EP3)

2. Then use Foundation DBUtils utility to upgrade DB schema from EP3 to EP5.

@Inger Magny Granli I also found this information documented in fine print in the SysAdminEP5.pdf MRG.

fffbbf356f2a447381c52718faba1fe8

Question is, did you perform two DB upgrades?

Note: I have never performed a DB Upgrade for an Oracle DB so I will have to assume it will be the same as upgrading a SQL DB.

Regards,

George

@Inger Magny Granli I forgot to add that best you reach out to your FLOS if you cannot resolve this problem.