cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OnBase DB for idiots?

William_Ansley
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Is there anywhere I can get basic information about running an SQL query against the OnBase DB? Assume I know absolutely nothing about the DB backend of OnBase. 

I have the password for the hsi user and I am trying to use PL/SQL developer to do the query, connecting with the same tnsnames file that allows me to successfully run the thick client and config utility. I keep getting the message that the username/password is invalid. Am I going about this entirely wrong? I have been reading the "OnBase Database Reference Guide" and the "Database Reporting Guide" but they both assume I am familiar with terms and concepts that I am not, so I am not finding them to be any help.

3 REPLIES 3

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi William.

First, I would ask what you are looking to accomplish by querying the database which you can't do within the Client?  There are is lot of functionality within the clients to get at the data, but obviously there are limits.

Second, the database back end correlates to the client front end.  You might want to start by learning the OnBase Client and the terminology associated with the software which will likely help you as you start to investigate the database.  Once you understand that, the Database Reporting Guide will help you to understand the layout of the schema used by the software

For basic information, you have review the available courses on Training.OnBase.com.  There are a number of End User Essential eLearning courses which discuss the basics (I haven't watched them so I don't know the content) and even a Database Reporting eLearning class.  If you have Premium you can take a deeper dive, as there are a number of Database courses available.

Best wishes!

Thank you for your response. Looking at the training courses seems like a great idea.

I am in the IT department at a two-year college. Our small staff has to support many systems; with my other responsibilities, haven't had time to learn as much about OnBase as I would like. I am trying to run an SQL query sent to me by our OnBase support person to pull very specific information out of our system, but haven't been able to run it successfully.

Hi William,

Typically you would use SQL Developer or SQLPlus to run Oracle SQL commands. Other programs like Toad are also common (this is by no means a recommendation). Once you have a connection to the database with any of these tools, you should be able to run the SQL, provided it is syntactically correct.

Since Hyland requires an Oracle DBA for any customers with Oracle environments, my recommendation would be to work with your DBA. Aside from that, I can only recommend going on line and getting a tutorial on how to run queries within an Oracle environment.

Best wishes!