Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrate documents w/metadata from Sharepoint into OnBase

Jean_Severe
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hello,

I have a user base that is attempting to import about 7000 documents stored in SharePoint into OnBase.

I was wondering if there is an existing utility that can help facilitate that.

Also, if there is a way to extract the metadata stored in the title and convert it into OnBase Keywords? I was thinking of writing a script in PowerShell that points to a query in SQL Managment Studio that maps the extracted info to OnBase keywords, but perhaps there is an easier way. 

Please let me know if you need more information. 

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

Ryan_Wakefield
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

Honestly, the easiest way would be to simply get an export to a flat file of all of the documents types and the meta data associated with each of them and then just DIP them back in. This personally would be the better option in my opinion.

Regarding your question on extracting meta data in the title of the file, that can be done. If you formatted each of the titles the exact same way, you could store the file name of the file in as a keyword (there is a SYSTEM keyword for this) and then throw it through workflow to extra the data out through regex style commands.

Those are my two ideas, but there might be more out there. 🙂

Michael_Nelliga
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Honestly, the easiest way would be to simply get an export to a flat file of all of the documents types and the meta data associated with each of them and then just DIP them back in. This personally would be the better option in my opinion.

Regarding your question on extracting meta data in the title of the file, that can be done. If you formatted each of the titles the exact same way, you could store the file name of the file in as a keyword (there is a SYSTEM keyword for this) and then throw it through workflow to extra the data out through regex style commands.

Those are my two ideas, but there might be more out there. 🙂

DeWayne_Ashcraf
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I've used Bamboo Bulk Export with some success.

https://bamboosolutions.com/sharepoint-web-parts/list-bulk-export/

Michael_Nelliga
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

I think my comment did not post correctly so i will try as an answer.

I will second Ryan's thought that DIP is probably the best way to get the files into OnBase.

I'm more familiar with PowerShell than OnBase workflow so ... With current SharePoint versions you should be able to grab the SharePoint metadata, munge it to OnBase keywords and document properties, download the SharePoint files, and build a DIP specification file with PowerShell. I did something similar copying out of SharePoint 2010 but with the limited PowerShell-SharePoint-2010 functionality I wound up creating an explorer view that i copy/pasted into CSV files and used PowerShell to munge the metadata, download the files, and build the DIP.

We have also copied orders of magnitude more files but had a dev whip up a little console app using SharePoint and OnBase API's to stream the files without intermediate storage. Your dev would need to be Hyland certified on the API to get access though.