cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any way to know the amount of API queries per hours already used?

Adrian_Alvarez1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

We have API query licenses (for example let’s say 1000 queries per hour), and we also have many external applications using API queries.

Is there any way to know how close we are to the 1000 queries per hour limit? Does Onbase have any counter or flag accessible via API?

I know Onbase keeps the count, because obviously they have to verify the query consumption. The question is: does onbase offer access to this counter? How?

It becomes really difficult for me to keep my own counter (I have different apps spread all over the company in different servers) As a consequence, I just have to wait until I get the program exception (because I reached the limit and the query can't be executed) and then start a super-complex rollback procedure. Don’t forget I have many apps, and they will all have the same problem at the same time. It’s like you know you are going to have a problem, but there is nothing you can do until it hits you in the face, and then you start doing some “damage control”. 

I can spend LOTS of time trying to have a centralized query counter among all the apps , and implement all sort of counting and validation mechanisms on my side... but in the end the ultimate truth is the Onbase query counter, and that's why I need to know if I can read it.

Any idea will be really appreciated.   Please, please, please… I really need to hear you have something better for me.

17 REPLIES 17

Adrian_Alvarez1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Would you think it is possible to open an enhancement request for the API query counter? I mean, people can develop their own counters but wouldn’t it be better if Onbase provides a read-only variable in the APIs that we can just read in order to get the counter value? Onbase already knows the value and has the control, they just need to make it accessible for programmers. In my humble opinion it doesn't seem to be very complex and it will really help a lot.

The "licusage" table approach may work in some scenarios, but it has its downsides, for example:

- enabling the license usage logging may increase the database operations. in addition the requests done by my apps (I may have 5 or 100 apps, everyone doing a verification before executing every single API query) will also increase the DB operations. will this have a significant impact in the performance?

- also, to my understanding, hyland does not recommend to make direct SQL queries to the Onbase database. I know this is just a simple SELECT, but anyways...

- I can’t get the query consumption if I am connected as a “concurrent”, it only appears as a user connected (as far as I can see in my tests), but nothing in the "licusage" table shows if that account/connection has 10 queries or already reached the 200 queries limit.

What do you think? Just brainstorming...

Thank you all,

Adrian_Alvarez1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hello Daniel,

I would like to clean the licusage table from time to time, in order to keep it "light", with the minimum amount of necessary information (let's say the last 24 hours of logs)

Can I set this somewhere in the Configuration or should I delete the records myself?

Thanks

Adrian

Daniel_Quill
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

Adrian,

We apologize for the delay in responding to your inquiry. Hyland is currently in the process of ensuring all questions are responded to and/or answered. If your inquiry is still relevant or requires further assistance, please do not hesitate to repost your inquiry or contact your first line support team.

As for you final question, there no easy methods of clearing this database table.  We do not have any methods that will do this automaticaly and deleting anything from the database will violate the OnBase Database Usage agreement.  If you need to trim this table will need to contact Hyland technical support have they do this for you or involve our database team and inquire about a database usage amendment.

Regards,

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.