cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to auto-generate folders based on documents already stored in OnBase?

Greg_Charles
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

I just tested a very basic File cabinet configuration in our Dev Environment.  However when using Auto-Foldering, it seems that the folders are not created until the "trigger" document is imported into OnBase.  

What if I wanted to go back after the fact and set up foldering say for our HR Employee files?  How can I get it to create the folders without re-importing each employees application?  

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

Justin_Fandl
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Hey Greg,

You could do this two ways:

1. If you own Workflow, there is an action that will "Auto Folder" the document (i.e. create the folders it's configured for) so you could build a very simply life cycle to send all the applications through. OR
  2. If you navigate to the document type in configuration and select "Auto Foldering" you can use the "Auto-Folder Existing Documents" button.

Hope this helps!

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Justin_Fandl
Content Contributor
Content Contributor

Hey Greg,

You could do this two ways:

1. If you own Workflow, there is an action that will "Auto Folder" the document (i.e. create the folders it's configured for) so you could build a very simply life cycle to send all the applications through. OR
  2. If you navigate to the document type in configuration and select "Auto Foldering" you can use the "Auto-Folder Existing Documents" button.

Hope this helps!

Ok follow up question. If I used the Auto-Folder Existing Documents Button and then decided after the fact that I wanted to add another Keyword to the Auto-Name, Can I run that button again and have it rename the folders?

Hey Greg,
If all you need to do is update the auto-name string, I'd suggest navigating to the folder you want to update, selecting the Auto-Name tab, and then using the checkbox for "Rename All Folders of This Folder Type" once you have it set the way you want it. This will then update the auto-name string for all folders of that type. As an item of note, this can take a while depending on how many folders exist so you may want to do it after hours.
Hope this helps!