cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Implementing Copy 2

Jon_Jacobs
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

We need to implement Copy 2, and we are starting tests on our QA system. A question came up:

If we copy everything from Copy 1 to the new disk share when it becomes available, then configure the system to use Copy 1 / Copy 2: What happens to any new documents that aere added after we first copied the files and before we changed the configuration? Will those in-between  documents automatically get copied over to 2? Or will we have to manually identify and copy them? Going forward, I understand new documents get to Copy 2 when they are committed.

5 REPLIES 5

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Jon.

Thanks for the question.

Those documents in the in between state would have to be identified and copied over to Copy 2.  From an OnBase perspective, until you make the change to create Copy2, there is no Copy2.  Once OnBase knows about the Copy2, it will then commit documents to that location.

You can copy all of the data from Copy1 to Copy2 using a XCopy or similar program.  Then you can create the Copy2 for all of the day forward documents.  If you do this during down time one evening and make sure to stop all processing, there should be no worries of missing any files.  Should be be concerned, you can always run a Platter Analysis and check for missing files from Copy2.

Take care.

Kitty_Evans
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Adam,

I was told there was an option that Hyland Suport could help me with that would "recognize" all my old documents that I copy from Copy 1 to Copy 2. Can you tell us more about that? Thanks.

Kitty

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Kitty.

I believe that you are talking about Analyze function which is part of Platter Management in the OnBase Thick Client (Admin | Platter Management | <navigate to a volume> | Right Click on a Copy).  This function will allow you to compare Copy1 vs. Copy2.  Essentialy, a process will run to make sure that the information in the database correctly identifies the files in the disk group.  It can also help to make sure that the files in Copy1 are the same as the files in Copy2.

The Disk Group Analysis Service will allow you to queue up volumes for analysis to be run as jobs at scheduled intervals.  You can find more information in the Platter Management MRG.

Take care.

Kitty_Evans
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

I know about analyze but this involved updating the database to "see" the old files on the new copy by adding pointers or something like that. Isn't there some type of service or utility requiring a callback code so this can be done all at once for all your disk groups?

Kitty