cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to start Diagnostics Service remotely using Diagnostics Console?

David_Davenport
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Diagnostics Console is launched on terminal server.  Port 8989 is open.  If Diagnostics Service is running on remote app server, viewing the diagnostic messages remotely works as expected.

However, if Diagnostics Service isn't running on remote app server, I receive Service Not Running dialog "Service is not running.  Do you want to start it?".

Click yes receives the Requires Administrator Privileges dialog "In order to start the service, the console needs administrator privileges.  Would you like to try starting the service as an administrator?".

Click yes receives the Connection Error dialog "Failed to connect to the Diagnostics Service."

It's not a matter of my administrator privileges - I am a server administrator on the remote app server, and I can also use the built-in Computer Management application on the terminal to start and stop services on the remote app server.  There's something different about trying to start the Diagnostics Service via the Diagnostics Console than via Computer Management.  What is it?

1 REPLY 1

Not applicable
You can try to run the Diagnostics Console as an administrator.