cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to delete document pointers

Michelle_Droy
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

After doing a disk group analysis, I discovered that there were a few documents that were empty on both platters, our main storage location and our archive location. I deleted the files from those folders (since they contained no data), but the pointers still show up in Director if you search for the file by file name. Is there a way to remove these file name pointers from Director? I tried right-clicking and deleting them, but it doesn't do anything.

c00e0da79f944674af92a1744c4cf27a

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Michelle Droy ,

If the files do not exist, the options are ...

• Restore from a backup
  • Replace with a "dummy" file

If these options do not work for you, then I would recommend working with your first line of support to address the issue.

Take care.

View answer in original post

6 REPLIES 6

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi @Michelle Droy ,

If the files do not exist, the options are ...

• Restore from a backup
  • Replace with a "dummy" file

If these options do not work for you, then I would recommend working with your first line of support to address the issue.

Take care.

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the response! So there's no way to remove the pointer altogether?

Hi @Michelle Droy ,

The only way to delete a reference to a file associated with a document would be in the database.  Only Hyland Technical Support is allowed to do that.

Alternatively, you can delete and purge the document which will delete all file references in the database.

Take care.

I should note, removing a the reference of a single copy path for a document is not something that can be achieved.  This is because of the way that the software builds paths. A document path is relative based on the Disk Group, Copies and Volume.  Therefore while you have a unique path to the file per Disk Group / Copy / Volume, it path is concatenated values and not a single value in the database.

Take care.