cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone upgrade to EP3+ with Oracle 19c?

Tia_Brott-Silke
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

We are on 17 preparing to upgrade to EP5 and migrate from Oracle 12c to 19c. Looking for input, pros and cons, good and bad experiences with migrating from any pre 19c Oracle version to 19c with OnBase EP3 (first version to support 19c) or above. Anything you can share, and I will do the same once ours is complete.

19 REPLIES 19

Michael_Snyder
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I've been trying to get help from my FLOS and Hyland on this AFKS issue!  Now I am finally finding it after over two weeks in the making !!!  I am running Oracle 19cR10 on Linux VM Ware.  I also installed Oracle 19c Client, 32 Bit and 64 Bit, on my OnBase EP3 Web/App Server.  Using OnBase 20.3.23.1000, recently installed.  I see the problem with the AFKS displaying the incorrect SQL.  When I stood up my database (Export from 12cR2 OnBase Prod DB to Import 19cR10 OnBase Dev DB), I went into Config to change my database ODBC 32 Bit in my AFKS so that it would point to my Dev DB as I always would do.  Then I did a SAVE without knowing the SQL from the keywordset table is displayed wrong (even though it is on the database table correct).  So, because I did a SAVE to save the changes I made so it points to the correct db (Dev DB instead of Prod DB), the SQL that is displayed incorrectly overwrote my good SQL on the keywordset table.  Therefore when my LifeCycles/WorkFlows run, scanned documents would not pick up the keywords.  So, I reopened the AFKS in Config and Now I see the SQL screwed up, picking up SQL from other AFKS.  I can paste the correct keywordset in and save it.  It will update the keywordset table with what I need but if I reopen the AFKS in Config module, it will look to be the wrong SQL.  I have an Oracle 12c Client installed on my workstation, so I can see the SQL displays correctly.  

I really wonder how long it will take Oracle to correct this issue!!!

Next, I am having difficulty with the Unity Scheduler Installer.  On the screen where you input the Data Source, User ID, and Password, I have used the same values that I used in the past Data Source=dbname.world; User Id=HSINET; Password=<pwd for hsinet>

I continue on with the install and the install fails.

What I discovered is that it will only install when I use this string for the Data Source

Data Source=(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=servername.domainname.com)(PORT=####))(CONNECT_DATA=(SERVICE_NAME=dbname.world))); User Id=HSINET; Password=<pwd for hsinet

I am still looking for an answer to why I'd need to specify essentially a string that would display from a tnsping dbname.world.

There are bigger problems/challenges to how you set up Authentication in iiS and Web Application Management Console.  There is a white paper out there for this.  But with some help from Hyland Tech, I also had to manually modify the web.config files under appserver and appnet for getting my front end application to open documents out of OnBase.  I've been working for over 7 weeks on this whole process, converting my 12c DB to 19c and then upgrading from OnBase 18 to OnBase 19.   

I have used OnBase 12, OnBase 16, Onbase 18, and now OnBase EP3.  I will tell you that this upgrade has been the BIGGEST challenge of them all!!!

You better look at EP5 and see if it is even certified with 19c.  

Regards,

Mike

Michael_Snyder
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hello Tia,

Here are a couple Community Site Links

1) that will tell you what 3rd Party Tools are certified under which Version of Hyland OnBase, especially in our case with Oracle :

https://community.hyland.com/technical/third-party-compatibility/third-party-compatibility-list?filt...

2) This one deals with Authentication.  This is a tricky one.  I have my Web and App server on the same VM Virtual Server but I had to follow the instructions from the White Paper for having the Web Server and App Server or separate servers.  I followed from page 36 on the white paper (the white paper is a link referenced in this link)…

https://community.hyland.com/blog/posts/71773-changes-to-non-interactive-autologon-in-onbase-builds

I had to also manually make some modifications to the webserver.config and appserver.config files. 

I am still working through problems but I am hoping that I am near the end of all this!!!

Let me know if you'd need anything else.

Mike

Tia_Brott-Silke
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

@Michael Snyder - thanks so much for this info. 19c is supported since EP3 and we are looking to get off 12c due to the fact we are on extended support for that version. Per previous comment, I did hear about the 19c client issue, so thanks for the detailed info, we will be watching out for this with AFKS. When we attempted to upgrade to EP1/EP3 last year, I have in  my notes that we did use the 2nd connect string you mentioned - but then we are an Oracle shop and this is what we are used to with Oracle connections and TNS files.

Regarding changing the AFKS ODBC - I wonder if something we do might help. We have a DSN entry using the same name on all environments, which then points to the specific database for that environment in the ODBC config - in our case uses Oracle 12c client and utilizes TNS names file. I don't worry about this because dev/test/prod only have ODBC connections for its own environment. Also you can create a 32/64 bit ODBC connection using the same name so there's never a need to tweak things based on environment.

3940fe2099de4deea25e341c3dcef9b7

Alan_Vidmar
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The reasoning behind the fully qualified connection string is so that you don't need to install any part of the Oracle client, not even the TNS names files for the OnBase App Server, Full Text Server, Unity Scheduler and Data Capture Server.

Much less to install and maintain that way AND no possible conflicts between an oracle client you may have installed vs the Oracle ADO.Net libraries that ship with OnBase.

Alan

Steve_Williams1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hi,

Over the last weekend I upgraded  the Oracle 19c drivers to patch level 11 (19.0.11) my EP4 test environment .

This has resolved the issue that I was having with External Autofill and ODBC connections.  I am reaching out to my FLOS because I am quite upset that Hyland has been telling me for weeks that they ' support' 19c, when there's been a Technical bulletin released.

On Tuesday I'll be getting our DBA's to download the 64 bit patch to bring my 64 bit environment to 19.0.11 as well.

I just thought I would pass the word around that the patches seem to work in my preliminary testing (not UAT by any stretch 🙂 ).

Thanks,
Steve Williams