cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting to the right Find pane in Studio

Alex_French
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

This question is really about Studio, not the Unity API, but it only makes sense to developers working with Unity Scripts-

Does anyone know how to reliably choose to open either the "find text in a script" Find pane vs. the "find a thing in Workflow" Find pane?  (OnBase 17.0.1.67)

I often have Studio open with a script pane (1/2 the screen divided vertically), the Repositories pane (1/4 screen), and the Properties pane (1/4 screen).

In some cases, Studio seems to get stuck on the "wrong" Find pane.  I think it always gets stuck on the "text in script" Find pane, but I'm not positive.

Some things that don't seem to reliably work:

1) Click in Repositories and Ctrl+F (this seems like the most obvious action... shouldn't this respond to whether I've selected the script or the Workflow?)

2) Click the "Find" button in the "Editor" ribbon tab (this ribbon section is script specific, so it makes sense that it always goes to the text search pane...)

3) Click the "Find" button in the "Home" section of the Ribbon (I feel like this should either always go to the Workflow Find, or should depend on the last selection, but it does not).

I regularly end up having to restart Studio just to get to the right kind of Find pane.

Anyone know anything more than I do?

3 REPLIES 3

Marc_Campbell1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Doesn't it just depend on which pane has the focus before you open find? If your script has the focus it'll open the "text in script" find pane. Otherwise, if the repositories or properties panes have the focus it'll open the "find a thing in Workflow" find pane. For me, the Find button on the Home tab does seem to depend on which pane has the focus before clicking it. It did when I just tried anyway.

One thing that would be nice would be if the find pane (whichever one) would actually get the focus when it's opened. Far too often do I click in the script pane, hit CTRL+F, and start typing only to find that I'm editing my script instead of typing my search criteria. Not a huge deal, but certainly annoying.

Alex_French
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator
@Marc- in our current version (17.0.1.67), on my workstation, etc. etc., it definitely does not just depend on which pane has the focus. I'm pretty sure it did not in 15.0.1.84 either.

CTRL+F from a script used to be worse- in v13, the cursor would stay in the script, so if you started typing, you'd essentially insert nonsense into the middle of your code. Apparently the "fix" implemented in either 14 or 15 was to remove focus from the script, without actually setting focus in the search pane in the way that any other application I've ever used does.

Marc_Campbell1
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise
Hmmm...must be a bug in that version. We're on 17.0.2.78 and the pane focus does open the appropriate find.

And the "fix" you mentioned isn't valid in this version. The script certainly keeps the focus when I hit CTRL+F. So I do end up inserting nonsense into the script before backtracking and manually clicking the find. Like you said, every other application gives the find pane the focus. Which is why it's annoying. It's instinct now to just hit CTRL+F and start typing. Tough to break that habit.