cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export to Network Location Permissions

Keith_Alderman
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

I have a core-based workflow that saves a copy of the document to a network drive using the 'Export to Network Location' action.  And, it is not working.

Diagnostics states: 'Export to Network Location' Doc 3986035: Exception Type 'System.UnauthorizedAccessException' Message 'Access to the path '\\XYZ\3986035.TIF' is denied.

MRG states: This should be a network location to which the user configured to run the IIS application pool, or the user being impersonated, has
appropriate rights.

1. Which app pool actually runs the workflow?  I assume OnBaseApp.

2.  Our App Pools are run as a NetworkService.  How do I grant rights to the network folder for a NetworkService?

3 REPLIES 3

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee

1. You can see which apppool is used by looking at the advanced settings for the web application running the app server. Here is a screenshot of my demo machine running the INETMGR windows admin snapin.

2. Network Service? Are you 100% sure your solution was not installed with the best practice of Identity Impersonation turned on? You may want to double check your application server web.config. Here is an example of a demo system not using Identity Impersonation:

Past this point, regardless of if you are or are not using Network Service, standard Windows/Network Admin steps can be followed for the task of folder sharing.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server-essentials/manage/manage-server-folders-in-windows-s...

Keith_Alderman
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

OK I found the username and password in the Registry.  However they were encrypted by aspnet_setreg.exe ( I assume).  How do you decrypt?

So you are confirming that Identity Impersonation is turned on? That's good news.

You can't really decrypt the credentials with the standard set of tools installed- it's meant to be secure. However, you can replace the user using Web Application Management console (installed on the Application Server). The option is in the Tools > Impersonation menu.