Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

emailing within workflow

Sue_Geiger
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

hello, 

we are relatively new to onbase, and now have a request to email a user when a document is in their queue, but only send a single email a day (if 50 documents enter their queue, send one email to them).  I am browsing around to see how it can be done, and have a few questions.  Do we need distribution services?  and if so, is this another licensed software we need to purchase?  Can workflow send to our campus email system (currently zimbra soon to be gmail vs internal onbase mail)?  I'm sure I'll have follow on questions regarding how to get this accomplished but wanted to start with -- do we have the neccessary software to even try to get it to work?  

3 REPLIES 3

Corey_Jenkins
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

OnBase should be able to work with Zimbra, but it will not work with GMAIL.  OnBase does not support GMAIL, they say they will, but who knows.  I have seen comments in the forums for the last two years about getting OnBase to work with GMAIL, but Hyland has yet to get it to work.  You can try a relay through Windows server but we have not been able to get the relay to talk to OnBase.  If your company is dead set on switching to GMAIL, workflow will not send external notifications to GMAIL, only the internal OnBase mail system.  Hope this helps.  Wish we had known this prior switching to OnBase.

Marcus_Christi6
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

[quote user="Sue G "]

hello, 

we are relatively new to onbase, and now have a request to email a user when a document is in their queue, but only send a single email a day (if 50 documents enter their queue, send one email to them).  I am browsing around to see how it can be done, and have a few questions.  Do we need distribution services?  and if so, is this another licensed software we need to purchase?  Can workflow send to our campus email system (currently zimbra soon to be gmail vs internal onbase mail)?  I'm sure I'll have follow on questions regarding how to get this accomplished but wanted to start with -- do we have the neccessary software to even try to get it to work?  

Clarifying a couple of things.

Email when a document is in their queue: If you're referring to a load balanced user, this is likely to require some scripting.  Otherwise you'd have to build a separate queue that has a "Counter" document for each load balanced user, where that document counts the documents in the main queue for that user, and then you'd fire one notification for each counter document.  Can be done, takes some time and is clunky.

Distribution Service costs nothing extra.  However, it's designed around simple SMTP.  If you want to do something with GMail, that's going to be a pain.

The issue with GMail is that they require TLS and authentication to use SMTP; neither of which OnBase Distribution Service supports at this time.  The issue is GMail, not OnBase.  GMail wants to verify the authenticity of every email generated through them.

If you've got programmers who understand the syntax, you could in theory write a program and call it from Workflow.  More information at this link:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11046135/how-to-send-email-using-simple-smtp-commands-via-gmail

If you got that to work, Distribution Service isn't needed.  Just Workflow and Workflow Timer Administrator.

Corey_Jenkins
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

You can set up a timer to execute at a certain time every day.  You also need to check the box that says First Document Only.  That way it will only send one email out.   We have finally been able to get OnBase to talk to our relay, and Gmail now works.  As far as the distribution service goes, it should come with workflow, but I am not 100%.  You would want to contact support for that.  You will need the disctribution service to be running to be able to send to Gmail.