cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Domain Authentication through the API

Jacob_Dahlke6
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I'm working on an integration app that will run on a client machine. I'd like to connect through the API using domain credentials without having the logged in user have to type them out.

When attempting to connect, diagnostics is showing that none of the user information is being passed. If I manually pass the username and password it in code, it will work.

The SDK example of connecting with the DomainAuthenticationProperties doesn't mention anything about passing username and password, and I'm certain I did this before the AD Authentication configuration for WebAppServer changed.

1. The customer is using AD Authentication (Enhanced)

2. The Authentication white paper has been followed, this environment has been up and working for a while

3. The Unity Client and the Web Client both auto-login using AD Authentication from the same client machine.

Is it still possible to authenticate with AD credentials in the API without user interaction?

If so, what might I be missing?

6 REPLIES 6

Durgaprasad_Ko1
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hi Jacob,

I found I need to set the domain property to the AD domain to make the DomainAuthentication work.

Here is the snippet of API connect code I use on an external application where i set the domain and also pass the logged in user credentials:

DomainAuthenticationProperties authProperties = Application.CreateDomainAuthenticationProperties(appServerURL, dataSource);
authProperties.LicenseType = LicenseType.Default;
authProperties.Domain = domain;
authProperties.Username = userName;
authProperties.Password = password;
application = Application.Connect(authProperties);

Jacob_Dahlke6
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The answer that I came to is that the Unity API does not support the changes for Kerberos authentication (without passing credentials). I was attempting to connect to a web server that is currently being used for the Unity Client and is working properly with the Unity Client.

I setup up an application server with Windows Authentication enabled and it auto-logged in without any problem. The other application server is setup per the directory Service Authentication white paper so it has Windows Authentication disabled.

I just thought I'd share my answer because I've seen a few other threads that touch on this but don't provide a clear cut answer.