cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Document Archival Methodologies

Lee_Davis2
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

We are looking at implementing a back file conversion from FileBound to OnBase for a customer of ours. The customer currently has two separate FileBound Systems; one for 'current' documents, and one for documents greater than x years old.

We want to be able to get all of the documents into OnBase and, for those that are older than the specified time period, provide a mechanism that will 'exclude' the records in the OnBase dB so that searches and queries are kept efficient for the active (newer) records, while at the same time providing visibility of the older documents if they need to go back and research for some reason. Is there a way to accomplish this without setting up an entirely separate system like they have now? Our goal is to maximize the retrieval/query performance by offloading the older records while still being able to access them. We are dealing with a back file of a few million documents

Any recommendations or comments are appreciated...

2 REPLIES 2

Ryan_Wakefield
World-Class Innovator
World-Class Innovator

So I guess I am a little confused as to what you are asking for feedback on. Are you trying to get all of the documents in to OnBase and remove them from FileBound? I think that is what I am getting out of this, but I wanted to make sure before I made any suggestions.

Lee_Davis2
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Yes, we are going to be bring all the FileBound docs into OnBase.  The reason they have two FileBound systems is so that the 'active' system is not impacted by having to search through several million records from inception when it is queried - it only has to search through records from within the last x years. Documents older than the specified archival time are moved to a second "archive" system, and can be accessed there without impacting the "active" system performance.

While you can specify parameters in the OnBase retrieval dialog and in custom queries, what we want to do is limit the number of records that are searched at the dB level to those that are newer than the archival date. If you have 5 million records in the dB from inception until now and specify in the retrieval or custom query, say, an Invoice Date of “02/28/2018”, all 5 million records still have to be searched for the invoice date supplied to see if they match before the results come back. What we are looking to do is find a way to actually exclude any records older than x number of years from being queried at the database level during the search. Querying 2 million records is going to be faster than querying 5 million records in the dB.

I'm thinking that we might be able to use a workflow to automatically re-index the older records as a new Document Type / Disk Group, but I'm not sure of the effort and possible hurdles associated with that approach. Or would it be easier to mimic their current way of doing things and have an entirely separate system? Of course, this would require separate licensing, which could be cost-prohibitive.

Any other possible solutions are much appreciated 🙂