Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disconnected Scanning - Converting PDFs to Tif during Sweep

Aaron_Abdulrahi
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to Convert PDFs to TIFs during a sweep in disconnected scanning. We have a site here at OCHIN that will be sweeping PDFs quite often and would like each PDF file to default to one document. I have found that using Kofax to scan from disk doesn't allow this option while sweeping does. 

Sweeping from our Client isn't an option in our situation. Does anyone have an idea? Thanks!

Aaron Abdulrahimzi

3 REPLIES 3

Susan_Ruttenber
Star Contributor
Star Contributor
Aaron do you by any chance own the Virtual Printer driver module?

Seth_Yantiss
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Aaron,

i can tell you that this has caused a fair amount of conversation on these forums over the years.  If you do a search for "Convert PDF to TIFF", you will see what I mean.

There's no super simple answer to this problem.  There are three generally accepted solutions, however.  These solutions are somewhat version dependent, so your OnBase version will negate or enhance the validity of one or more of these options.

1. Use an external PDF conversion application to convert the PDF to TIFF prior to it getting swept.

2. Use VPD to print the document to TIFF.  (This is a license that must be acquired)

1. Manually have a user print the PDF into OnBase
  2. Use a scan queue image processor to print the document to a new rendition of the document

3. Use the Microsoft Office Document Conversion license to use Workflow to convert the PDF to TIFF.  (This is also a license that must be acquired)

There is a 4th option if you're good with Unity Scripting that utilizes third part open source (or purchased, I guess) code modules that can be leveraged in a Unity Script to convert the PDF to TIFF and save the rendition that's created.

There are headaches with all of these approaches.  2.1 is probably the most stable, though I am never keen on relying on humans to reliably execute a repetitive task.

Cheers,
Seth 

Scott_Poti1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I would say use a script to call a program that uses a third party .dll that can convert the pdfs to tiffs. We do this alot with our DIPs/