cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DevOps-ing OnBase - Client as a service

Not applicable

Is it possible to configure the OnBase client as a service without using Config (i.e. via PowerShell).

Currently, as I understand it, in order to create a service with the OnBase client for Advanced Capture, etc., I have to do that with Config on the server/machine.  When I look at ‘Windows Services’ on a client PC with config, they aren’t listed; they are only listed in the Config on server.

I can use ‘Start-Process’ to install the msi silently (so there’s no gui),
I can use ‘Copy-Item’ cmdlet to copy the obclnt32.exe & obclnt32.exe.config to new ones for the service,
I can use ‘New-Service’ cmdlet to create the service, with Dependencies and the necessary login,
However, the service doesn’t start, and I don’t know where I’d add the switches for the client (e.g. –ODBC=”DEV” -SCHED -SCANAUTOCOMMIT).

I’m starting to think about automating my OnBase environment builds, and would like to use Server Core – no GUI, and manage everything from PowerShell remotely.  This is kind of my last hurdle.

3 REPLIES 3

Eric_Beavers
Employee
Employee
I am not 100% sure bypassing configuration is allowed (or would be supported by your FLOS).

Here are some ideas because I think this is a fascinating topic...

Most windows services are stored in the registry. If you can find the right entries it is might be easy to backup and restore.

There is a command line utility called "SC" that lets you do all kinds of things such as create, start/stop, and delete windows services. If you could figure out (aka reinvent the wheel) all the arguments of the Create command you might be able to pull this off.

I am interested to see what others think.

Not applicable
My first line of support pointed me to the registry:

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Hyland\Services\

I exported a couple of them from production, imported in to dev (updating the dev Cmdline key to point to the correct database source), built the services. Initially, it didn't work and get a 'Access Denied' error in the Windows Application log. I updated the Registry to use the MANAGER (all caps) account and password and the service runs successfully. In production, though, I'm using a domain service account and not using an OnBase svc account (at least not entering one in the Service Configuration dialog - is there an implicit account being used?). The services don't show up in OnBase config in DEV environment when I build them this way.

Not ready for prime time, but I'm getting closer.

Anthony_Boyd
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator
Some info that maybe useful.

If you change the value of the "InstallID" registry key to match that of your DEV env it should then show up. You can get he install id from the system status window in the thick client.

The password would have to be plain text in the "Password" key with the "PasswordEncrypted" key set to 0 - I'm not sure there is a way to script creating the encrypted value for the password outside of the client.

The service that appears in the Windows services screen always runs the obclnt32.exe process with the -SERVICE switch. Best I can tell the Service Name here is how it gets tied to the keys in the Hyland\Services section. For each windows service there is a subkey by the same name - since you can have multiple services running on the same machine.

Hope this helps.