Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Considerations for creating a new File Server

Jennifer_Rusert
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hello,

I am in the process of creating a new virtual file server to move the production disk groups from a shared file server to a stand-alone OnBase File Server. I have been reading through the blogs and such but have additional questions. I am unable to find a Platter Management MRG.

What are some of the considerations when creating a new file server and moving existing disk groups? Since it's a virtual server, could I point the CName to a new location?

I appreciate any advice you may give. TIA!

1 REPLY 1

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Jennifer,

Thanks for the post.

You can find the Platter Management MRG for OnBase 16 here (link) under the OnBase 16 Module Reference Guides.  In addition, you can review the Tactical Storage Considerations for an OnBase Solution presentation (link) from CommunityLIVE 2016 which might offer more insight into your question.

My recommendation is to have a conversation with your first line of support as this is a discussion of solution design.  Your question has a lot in it and I'll do my best to answer it.  In your case you are using a file server instead of directly accessing the files via a NAS (Network Attached Storage) or SAN (Storage Area Network).  The challenge is that this introduces a single point of failure when accessing your files via OnBase in the event that the VM hosting the share to the Disk Groups is no longer available. 

One item you mentioned which is a good practice is the use of DNS aliases (CNAME) to create a unique DNS name for the Disk Groups.  This will allow you to update the OnBase Platter Paths pointing to the DNS alias without it directing to the A record or hostname (i.e. the server name).  Further, it will allow you to easily change the host server without having to reconfigure OnBase.  Using this type of configuration is a best practice and helps in disaster scenario where failover to a secondary site is needed and can easily be accomplished by updated the DNS alias.

When designing a storage solution you should consider planning for High Availability and Disaster Recovery (link).  From the sounds of you are looking at settings up a virtual file server which then has access to the Disk Groups via a data store.  My guess is this means you will be running the VM on a host, but further that there would be multiple hosts available allowing for VM mobility (i.e. the movement of a VM from one host to another).  As well, my guess is that you will have redundant data stores accessible to these hosts.  This sort of design will prevent a single point of failure.

Hope this helps!