cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Color Overlay Making Rendered Files Very Large

Garrett_Weber
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

I work for a financial institution, we've recently done some rebranding and have updated our logo and color scheme. Now that its done we want to start using it with our monthly statements our customers receive.

In the past we've rendered in B&W with a B&W overlay, I have uploaded a new color overlay and gotten our statements to now render in color but the final product that is created and will be distributed to our customers grows very significantly with the color overlay. Are there settings to reduce the amount the files grow as the overlay is applied and its rendered into a TIFF format?

Old version of statement that was rendered on 4/30 and sent to me personally is 586 KB this is with the B&W overlay rendered in B&W.

New version which is the same original statement file just with a color overlay applied and rendered in color is 8 MB.

The overlay that is used for our B&W is 220 KB the new overlay file size is 88 KB why is rendering in color creating such a large difference in file size with a smaller file?

2 REPLIES 2

Benjamin_Adelso
Champ on-the-rise
Champ on-the-rise

Hi Garrett,

Color statements are rendered with a color depth of 24 bits per pixel while black and white statements have a color depth of 1 bit per pixel (each pixel is either black or white). This is causing the size increase that you are seeing; storing the extra color depth information requires more memory.

Printer DPI will play a large part in file size here as well. For example, an 8.5”x11” page rendered with 24 bits per pixel at 300dpi will require around 25mb to store. While an 8.5”x11” page rendered with 24 bits per pixel at 600dpi will require around 100mb to store.

When the statement is rendered each color page of the statement (and in turn the overlay) will be scaled up to 24 bits per pixel. Additionally the DPI of the statement is determined by the print driver settings on the rendering machine. To lower the size of the rendered statement you can lower the print DPI in the print driver settings.

Regards,

Ben Adelson

Hi Ben,

I've spent the last couple weeks looking for a print driver that will render under 600 DPI and I cannot find one. That is issue number 1. Number 2 is I forgot to uncheck the force color for this months statements that were sent electronically, not  big deal as my overlay was B&W but it brought something to my attention when correcting a couple statements that were too large to send.

When it renders and archives the document in OnBase the TIFF with the overlay is 3MB, the copy that was attempted to be emailed out is 39 MB. Why is that?

The doc was rendered at 600 DPI with a 300 DPI overlay, I get that in color its going to be larger but the doc that is stored in OnBase should be the same doc that is then sent to the customer correct? Is there something in the process of taking the TIFF and applying the password and making it a PDF that is causing it to jump in size so much? I can save the TIFF convert it to a PDF with Acrobat and apply the same password to the doc and send it to the customer and the size actually got smaller, 3.38 MB down to 2.24 MB.

Getting started

Find what you came for

We want to make your experience in Hyland Connect as valuable as possible, so we put together some helpful links.