cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing a Workstation's Description in the OnBase Database

David_Simon
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Using the Thick Client ADMIN menu, then USER MANAGEMENT, then WORKSTATION REGISTRATION, we can see all the Registered Workstations.  This is table REGISTEREDUSERS in the database.  There is a Description column on this screen which is a way to add a user friendly name for a workstation.  This is the field REGISTEREDUSERS.stationdesc.

As an adminsitrator, I'd like to MODIFY the description for several workstations so I know what workstation belongs to who.

1) Is there anywhere in the software where i can do this?

2) OR Must one engage Database Services at Hyland for assistance?

Thank you for any help you may be able to provide!  Dave Simon

2 REPLIES 2

Ryan_Coyne
Confirmed Champ
Confirmed Champ

Hello David,

Although it may not be the exact direct approach you're looking for, I was able to find a way to accomplish this using only OnBase Client and Configuration with no database manipulation:

Using the option: OnBase Configuration | Utils | Workstation Registration | Allow users to specify a workstation description, users will be prompted to enter the Description name upon first login.  Unfortunately, this only occurs on the first login of a new workstation, meaning that it would not work to modify an existing workstation.  I was able to delete a workstation (OnBase Client | Admin | User Management | Workstation Registration) and be prompted for the Description entry to enter the desired value.  More info can be found on this in the related System Administration Module Reference Guide - I went through this process successfully using OnBase 10 SP1 (PDF page 744 for that version).

Before deleting any workstations in a Production environment, I'd strongly recommend noting any licensed products associated as well as Scheduler processes assigned to the machine - these will be lost upon deleting the workstation and you would need to re-assign them manually depending on the license type.  You may also want to consider any custom configurations within the OnBase solution that take Workstation Registration into account.

Once the workstation is deleted, login to OnBase Client and you would be prompted with a box to enter the Description of your choosing.  As mentioned above, only workstations that are detected as "new" will receive this prompt.  For this purpose, you might also consider performing this process during off-peak hours if new workstations are expected (something like, toggle the option on in Configuration, delete the workstations in Workstation Registration, login and assign the correct Description, and then toggle the option off).

If this does not seem like a viable solution for your OnBase environment, I'd suggest contacting your First Line of Support to discuss other options of updating the Workstation Description value.

Please let me know if I can clarify any of my suggestions above.

Thank you,

Ryan, once again you have proven to be extremely knowledgable, and have provided a great answer.  Thank you for the response.  It is good to know that there is a work-around, but it is not something that I want to necessarily go through.  Nor do I really want to ask Hyland to update for me everytime I come accross one of these.  So I'm going to just "live with it" and deal with the occassional pain of having to look this information up in another system to try to figure out the correct machine/workstation(s) I need to register for licenses, etc.  I'm sure there are bigger issues to worry about, but if I had to submit an ehancement request (which I'm not even sure is worth the time), I would ask for/suggest a Modify Workstation Description button (or right click option) on the Workstation Registration screen.

Thanks again for the information!  Dave Simon