Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Document Type Access to View Only

Kate_Andrews
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Hello!

We are turning off a document type in our system and replacing with a new one, but would like to retain view access to the old type for historical purposes. However, we would like to prevent users from importing new documents with this old doc type. Is there a way to provision this type of view only access? Ideally, this would be without converting all historical documents to the new document type.

Thanks!

Kate

3 ACCEPTED ANSWERS

Deena_Hess1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The first thought that pops to my mind is override privileges. You could take away the Create right from all of your user groups at the doc type level.

View answer in original post

Kathy_Baumann
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I asked a similar question on Community not too long ago.  Here's the link.  Prevent document type from being used with Re-Index or Import/Upload (hyland.com)

Ashish_Srivasta
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Hi Kate,

There are so many options to approach this

1) Convert Doctype without converting all historical documents to the new document type. Create a custom query for historical documents based on doctype and conversion date and create another custom query for new doctype to view new documents.

2) Create a new document type and custom query and remove modify/create/version/revision etc. access on old document type.

The use of second approach would be better in most cases. but you may decide what is good for your case.

Kind Regards,

Ashish Srivastava 

3 REPLIES 3

Deena_Hess1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

The first thought that pops to my mind is override privileges. You could take away the Create right from all of your user groups at the doc type level.

Kathy_Baumann
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

I asked a similar question on Community not too long ago.  Here's the link.  Prevent document type from being used with Re-Index or Import/Upload (hyland.com)

Ashish_Srivasta
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Hi Kate,

There are so many options to approach this

1) Convert Doctype without converting all historical documents to the new document type. Create a custom query for historical documents based on doctype and conversion date and create another custom query for new doctype to view new documents.

2) Create a new document type and custom query and remove modify/create/version/revision etc. access on old document type.

The use of second approach would be better in most cases. but you may decide what is good for your case.

Kind Regards,

Ashish Srivastava