cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Practices for creating Keywords?

Julie_Brown
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

What if any are best practices with creating Keywords?

Should we try to minimize the amount of keywords we create?

Or is it Ok to have keywords for each Department? 

I find it easier to know and understand what the keyword is used for by assigned them to Departments. 

But if this isn't a good idea, I would like to know that now before I get to many keywords. 

How does everyone else handle this?

3 REPLIES 3

James_Perry
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

We create keywords for each department or document type group. This allows us to update them without affecting other groups and allows us to manage them individually in the future.

We add a prefix to each set of keywords to make them easier to find and differentiate in the system. 

No one person needs to know everything—they simply need to know who knows it.

Thanks Jim, 

That is what I started doing. It makes it so much easier to know what keyword belongs where. As I expand Departments in OnBase the amount of keywords grow.

So just wanted to make sure there wasn't a best practice or a something that would catch up with me down the road, before it get to far into this. 

George_Sialmas
Elite Collaborator
Elite Collaborator

@Julie I don't know if you have access to the SysAdmin MRG, there is some best practice section in there toward the end regarding Keyword Types and two sections I know of are: 

• SysAdmin MRG > Configuration Best Practices > Document Types > Keyword Types (This provides solution design related to Keyword Types configured for Document Types)
  • SysAdmin MRG > Configuration Best Practices > Keywords (This is more solution design related to Keyword Types)

Lastly, if you have access to Hyland University, there are some great courses on Keywords:

Good luck,

George