Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Avoid the Awaiting Index Scan Queue

Mike_Kroner1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Hello,

We are experiencing an interesting situation here on our end.  On an average day we are receiving a 1000 + faxes and I am using Subscription Server to place the faxes into the Awaiting Index Scan Queue to be indexed.   OnBase only permits up to 500 uncommitted batches within the index queues.   What I would like to do is have the scan batches go into a workflow where the images can be indexed using SYS-Re-index document function.  Is there a way to bypass the Awaiting Index and send the docuemnts right to a workflow for indexing?

Thanks,

3 REPLIES 3

Seth_Yantiss
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Anon,

In the Subscription Server configuration settings, where you set the scan queue to enter, you can set the "Fully Indexed" check box...  Make sure to set the Scan Queue to autocommitt.

Or, perhaps a better option, don't send the document to a scan queue at all.

Cheers,
Seth

Not applicable

Many of us have users whose idea of getting documents into OnBase is to scan hundreds of batches, without completing Indexing or QA (if appropriate). When the system runs up against the Maximum Uncommitted Batches, all document import comes to a halt, even for users who have a good workflow and work their batches through commit regularly in a timely manner.

OnBase can be configured to limit the problems caused by Index/QA Phobia while giving a lot more flexibility as well as scan queue level control.  The number of open batches allowed system wide is set in configuration at Import -> Process Settings and is usually set at, as pointed out above, 500.  Depending upon other processes, such as ERM and DIP, I have set this as low as 50, even when scanning 500+ batches a day into multiple queues with no work interruptions or support tickets.

In the Batch Processing tab of the Process Options for a scan queue, change the value of the Override Maximum Uncommitted Batches (This Scan Queue Only) [Lower Right corner] to the largest number of uncommitted batches to be allowed for that Scan Queue.  Repeat for all scan queues, entering appropriate volumes to encourage frequent committing 🙂 - I rarely go above 250.  At Import->Process Settings change it to 50.  Going forward, no one can bring the system batch import processes to a halt because the maximum has been exceeded.  At worse, they will bring import to a halt for a single scan queue.  In cases where it is possible to receive a large number of batches quickly the number of batches for that scan queue may need to be set much higher but the number of batches brought in by this process will not affect the rest of the system.

We can look at it this way too:

# Batches

Allowed

System Wide

Batches

Comments
Process Setting -> Max Uncommitted Batches5050System wide max # of batches
Awaiting Index Scan Queue750800Scan queue for indexing faxes
Dept 1 Scan Queue25825
Dept 2 Scan Queue100925
Dept 3 Scan Queue50975

Welcome to OnBase math - the system is restricted to a maximum of 50 open batches but can handle 950 open batches.  Dept 1 can now be held to a reasonable level of open batches.  When they attempt to scan the 26th batch they are not allowed and they must work on committing their existing batches so that they may scan additional batches.  Again, the inability to import batches is restricted to that scan queue only and does not affect the rest of the system.  

Laura_Kittell
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making

Can you set this for Scan Queues that are being fed by DIP or by Rightfax?  How would it handle that situation?  I like the setting of the allowed, but I am not sure how it would work on the two situations.  Can you help me with this?

Thanks!