cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Audit logs for Deleted users

Nat_Mara
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

We have a lot of old users, who no longer access our system, and we are enacting a policy which will disable based on no logins within the past 3 months.  We would also like to delete users who have not logged into OnBase in the past 6 months, but some users are concerned in case an audit comes up, they want to be able to look at the document history to see who did what to a document.

Reading the MRG, it states that when a user account is deleted, the account is not removed from the DB, so you should still maintain the document history, although if the user was Ben Franklin, it should show up as User # /UserName(deactivated).  I have a few questions as I am trying to test that.

I created a new user (D001234) and gave the display name of "NM Test".  

I had the user view some docs, modify some KW and even deleted some docs.

I then went in, and disabled and then deleted that user account and reset the cache.

When I log back into to any client and view document history on one of the documents, it still shows the User name, but does not show DEACTIVATED.

0c04bbafc74e45a9b26ce805e2b0025e

I then purged the security logs for today, since I deleted the user today. 5b117738c25146339b106fae12237781

I cycled IIS on boht web and application server so any changes would be picked up by CORE clients and checked the document history and the same details showed in history.

so here are my questions:

1. if you delete an account, and the secuirty logs what should you expect to see history-wise for the prior user?  Is it the user name, or the display name or will it be gone?

2. I have seen User (Deactivated) in the past, did I do something wrong, and that is why mine is not showing up that way?

I need to make sure I am testing accurately so i can go back to the users and discuss their concerns.

thanks in advance,

Nat

1 ACCEPTED ANSWER

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Nat,

When you delete a user in OnBase, the user name in the database is updated to "username-usernum (deactivated)" or something like "JDOE-123 (deactivated)".  This means the user account is still in the database, though it is no longer active and can't login.  However, since the user account is still available, anytime that the username is referenced it would display (i.e. "JDOE-123 (deactivated)").  

Below we can see the deleted user in the database along with the History of a document the user created and viewed.

3a23203032cc49e6bf63446a2acce85e

11bd35389acf4e0ea7bb5b910d1c3182

The reason the User Name displays the "Firstname Lastname" is because I have a Global Client Setting  (Users | Global Client Settings | Misc) enabled for "Display real name instead of username".  If I disable this option the username will display instead whereas you can see "(deactivated)".

2baaf0f87bca40d5a773b1faaa4d6d7e

Best wishes.

View answer in original post

3 REPLIES 3

AdamShaneHyland
Employee
Employee

Hi Nat,

When you delete a user in OnBase, the user name in the database is updated to "username-usernum (deactivated)" or something like "JDOE-123 (deactivated)".  This means the user account is still in the database, though it is no longer active and can't login.  However, since the user account is still available, anytime that the username is referenced it would display (i.e. "JDOE-123 (deactivated)").  

Below we can see the deleted user in the database along with the History of a document the user created and viewed.

3a23203032cc49e6bf63446a2acce85e

11bd35389acf4e0ea7bb5b910d1c3182

The reason the User Name displays the "Firstname Lastname" is because I have a Global Client Setting  (Users | Global Client Settings | Misc) enabled for "Display real name instead of username".  If I disable this option the username will display instead whereas you can see "(deactivated)".

2baaf0f87bca40d5a773b1faaa4d6d7e

Best wishes.

Nat_Mara
Star Collaborator
Star Collaborator

Thanks Adam!

One more question, is there anything that can be done that would cause the username not to be retained in the DB?

The reason I ask is when I go into user metrics, and sort by User # there are often gaps.  Our organization is very concerned about history, due to potential audits.

43834ada488740ff91a4bc2d93314d9c

regards,

Hi Nat.

My pleasure.

That shouldn't be a concern.  There is never a case where the software will delete the row from the database.  The usernum is a maxnumkey value (hsi.maxnumkeys.keykeytype = 2).  If there are gaps, this could be causes by the software updating the value, but never using it.  For instance, an admin going into Config, starting to create a user and canceling out.  I'm sure there are other scenarios where this could occur, but don't know all of them off the top of my head.

Best wishes.