Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scan error 8553

Greg_Garvin
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

We are recieving an error message when scanning:

Scan Error (8553)

You have scanned too many batches without committing.  In order to avoid losing data, you should commit more consistently. Commit some data before processing.

Is this a traing issue? Should we force users to commit more frequently...or can we configure the system to accept a larger volume of uncommitted batches?

5 REPLIES 5

David_Coxe1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Greg,  ideally, batches should be committed as soon as possible.  This is especially true if you have more than one copy of a disk group.  When a batch is in an uncommitted state, only 1 copy of the documents in the batch exist.  This could be problematic if your Copy 1 should go offline due to a disk failure.  With an uncommitted batch, you would have to re-process that batch or batches to get your data back.  If documents were scanned in and added to Workflow, then you've now got problems with your business process.

The maximum number of uncommitted batches can be increased, however, in Configuration up to a maximum of 500.

To access this setting, in Configuration, go to Import>Process Setting and set to the desired number.

In rare and extreme cases, that number can be increased, but we strongly recommend not doing so.

If there is a business need that absolutely requires that this number be increased, then you will have to contact your first line of support so that Hyland can become engaged to make that change for you.

Let me be very clear on this:  Increasing this number above the maximum of 500 increases your risk of data loss should your Copy 1 suffer a failure.

Thanks Dave....

We'll deal with thru user training...we will not increase the 500 uncommitted batch limit....

Actually..even though some of our users using a new scan queue do get scan error 8553...it does not appear we're reaching the 500 threshold...

David_Coxe1
Star Contributor
Star Contributor

Greg,  the default setting there is 10 batches.  I was just saying you can set it up to a maximum of 500.  I would check the setting and see what the setting is.

Jason_Jackman
Champ in-the-making
Champ in-the-making